Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
nix99
Contributor
Message 71 of 123

Re: Hub 6 not connecting to VPN

@eitubi wrote:

For what it's worth, I can confirm what has already been reported by previous posters i.e. switching from PPTP to L2TP stops the Smart Hub from crashing, but by heck it's slow. This using the VPN client built into Win 7 Pro 64-bit.

That's curious - since I use exactly that OS on another laptop and PPTP VPN works fine on it. Most people are reporting the crash only with Windows 10 (& maybe 8.1??).

0 Ratings
Poppy7
Contributor
Message 72 of 123

Thank you for the information. So all I need to get is the Netgear router - no modems or anything else? Thanks

@andyhudson1979 wrote:
I have a netgear nighthawk d7000. It has a wizard type set up so all the configuration is done for you. It will ask for your country and ISP so you select BT.

You just need to know that your username is bthomehub@btbroadband.com and the password is BT. It's the same for every bt user as bt authentication is on the phone line id itself.

TP-LINK, draytek and asus are other brands of routers I've seen mentioned on here.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 73 of 123

@Poppy7 wrote:

Thank you for the information. So all I need to get is the Netgear router - no modems or anything else? Thanks

As long as it is a VDSL modem/router model of Netgear. Some are are ADSL modem/router and some are just Routers. Check the specs. The d7000 is a VDSL modem/router

0 Ratings
Poppy7
Contributor
Message 74 of 123

@licquorice wrote:

@Poppy7 wrote:

As long as it is a VDSL modem/router model of Netgear. Some are are ADSL modem/router and some are just Routers. Check the specs. The d7000 is a VDSL modem/router

Thank you.

0 Ratings
ithebebs
Aspiring Contributor
Message 75 of 123

I sent a message to the moderators last week hoping for some update or at least an acknowledgement that the issue is being looked at / ETA for a resolution, but still nothing.

If only they would correspond with us and let us know if the issue is being addressed and they are intending to fix it in the near term I don't think it would be so bad and I could potentially wait before spending more money on a new router. With no feedback to say if the issue is being fixed and when we might expect a resolution I can't keep waiting as there are two of us in my household using VPN for work.

Please mods, all we are asking is for some updates and timescales. This hub must be in the hands of hundreds if not thousands of your customers by now and it will soon get to the point where it becomes a massive issue. It is the sole router you are supplying now to all new customers, it can't be a good first impression to make on all those customers and this thread must be putting off potential customers as well.

0 Ratings
eitubi
Beginner
Message 76 of 123

@nix99 wrote:

@eitubi wrote:

For what it's worth, I can confirm what has already been reported by previous posters i.e. switching from PPTP to L2TP stops the Smart Hub from crashing, but by heck it's slow. This using the VPN client built into Win 7 Pro 64-bit.

That's curious - since I use exactly that OS on another laptop and PPTP VPN works fine on it. Most people are reporting the crash only with Windows 10 (& maybe 8.1??).

Indeed. When I first came across this thread on the forum, it was clear that my problem was identical, but at the time of my first post I'd not seen anyone else struggling with Win 7. That's why I offered to do whatever I can to help with any testingg to try and pin it dwwon (no response from the mods - offer still stands).

I wondered if it was the 'pro' element that was causing the isues in my case, but if it works for you then there must be something else abouyt my particular configuration.

Do you mind me asking - which firewall and/or AV software are you running? I've been really lazy and have so far only used the built in Windows firewall and MS Security Essentials on this laptop. It might be time for me to do something about that.

Out of interest, temporarily disabling MS Security Essentials doesn't help. My impression was that, with it disabled, it takes a while longer for the VPN connection attempt to crash the Smart Hub.

Stuart

0 Ratings
nix99
Contributor
Message 77 of 123

eitubi wrote: 

Do you mind me asking - which firewall and/or AV software are you running? I've been really lazy and have so far only used the built in Windows firewall and MS Security Essentials on this laptop. It might be time for me to do something about that.

Check and check. Indeed on my windows 7 pro machine I'm running those too, but no crash for me.

0 Ratings
eitubi
Beginner
Message 78 of 123

@nix99 wrote:

eitubi wrote: 

I've ... used the built in Windows firewall and MS Security Essentials on this laptop.

Check and check. Indeed on my windows 7 pro machine I'm running those too, but no crash for me.

Another great idea crashes and burns. Hey-ho ... 

0 Ratings
ithebebs
Aspiring Contributor
Message 79 of 123

Okay. Given up on BT communicating with me on this issue which is really poor for a company their size not to support people using their sole consumer broadband product. With no communication or sign of a fix I will have to pay out even more money to purchase a new router.

I will look at claiming the cost back through the small claims courts as BT seem to be point blank ignoring my contact with them...

Very frustrating - wish I had stayed with Sky.
0 Ratings
ithebebs
Aspiring Contributor
Message 80 of 123

Oh, and to let you know, I have phoned them, emailed and used the 'contact tg mods' link all to no avail.
0 Ratings