smf22
Recognised Expert
Message 181 of 196

Re: Hub 6 wireless now unuseable

Go to solution

And from an nmap scan:

[snip]
443/tcp   open  ssl/http    lighttpd
|_hnap-info: ERROR: Script execution failed (use -d to debug)
|_http-favicon: Unknown favicon MD5: 20EB5F642F33031D0E4DB65FD3AAE407
| http-methods: 
|_  Supported Methods: GET HEAD POST OPTIONS
|_http-server-header: HTTP Server
| http-title: Smart Hub
|_Requested resource was /0000012501/gui/
| ssl-cert: Subject: commonName=self-signedKey/organizationName=Sagemcom Ca/countryName=FR
| Issuer: commonName=self-signedKey/organizationName=Sagemcom Ca/countryName=FR
[snip]
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 182 of 196

Go to solution

@smf22 wrote:

@gg30340 wrote:

There always has been a Smarthub with a WAN port and it is used for the FTTP packages. As far as I know it is not known as the 6b and at present I believe there is no hub 6a or 6b there is just the hub 6.

http://btsupport.custhelp.com/ci/fattach/get/4774269/1466063702/redirect/1/session/L2F2LzEvdGltZS8xN...

My bet is that the insides of the FTTC and FTTP versions are exactly the same, after all it would be a ridiculous scenario to produce a completely different hardware spec. for the two versions. It's a simple thing to make a configuration change that turns one of the LAN ports into a WAN port i.e., enabling PPPoE on a particular GE switch port.

I agree. I was only pointing out the WAN port in relation to AndyCoffin's comment " we all know the 6a does not have a wan port so anyone getting a service will need either the 6b or a different router all together"

0 Ratings
AndyCoffin
Aspiring Expert
Message 183 of 196

Go to solution

I was origanly told of the two versions in a chat with bt for a problem i had before this one as i had asked if it was better to go back to useing my modem and she told me that the 6a didnt work in that setup and the one that could was only for FTTP installs (the 6b?) looking at the setup files on the bt help site (http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/10477/~/user-guides-and-manuals-for-bt-hubs) the only way to tell from outside is that lan4 is marked as wan.

If the only differance is a firmware change then maby they will enable it in the future (g.fast?).

Update: sorry the previous posts didnt show for me until i had posted this and i admit im only guessing about the other one being called the 6b but im takeing that from the other hubs that had a and b versions.

0 Ratings
smf22
Recognised Expert
Message 184 of 196

Go to solution

I think both the FTTC and FTTP 'variants' are considered as Hub 6A. I think they're both based on the Broadcom chipsets and both have the same firmware. Just take a look at the hardware build. Unlike the Hub 4 and Hub 5 that had yellow RJ45 connectors for LAN ports and a red RJ45 connector for the WAN port, the Hub 6 only has yellow RJ45 ports. It's simply that the FTTP variant has a minor configuration change... and a red sticker with the word "WAN" stuck over the number '4' Smiley LOL

I'm sure in the future BT could easily reconfigure the FTTC variant to use port 4 as a WAN port which would be connected to an Openreach G.fast modem. And I don't think it would so much as a firmware change. The Ubiquiti router I use has five Gig Ethernet ports as part of a Microtik Switch on Chip (SoC) and I can use them all as standard Gig Ethernet ports, or make any one of them a Gig Ethernet port with PPPoE. No firmware change... just a couple of lines in the configuration. I'm sure the Hub 6 with it's Broadcom BCM63137 SoC is going to operate exactly the same.

I think the 6B will be completely different hardware and software, just in the same way the Hub 5 was; the Hub5A using Lantiq/Atheros chipset and the Hub 5B using Broadcom chipset. Depending upon the timeframe in which it's released it may even have an integrated G.fast modem and router. Time will tell.

Regards

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 185 of 196

Go to solution

As smf22 has pointed out, the HH5a and HH5b did use different hardware. I believe that was also the case with all the previous versions of the Homehubs that had an "a" and "b" version.

The reason supplied on the forum for this was to secure supply of the Homehub ie not relying on one manufacturer and it was not as some people suggested that the "b" model was an upgrade on the "a" model.

This would apparently be borne out by the fact that both models were/are still supplied where as if it was because of an upgrade, supply of the "lower grade" "a" model would have stopped.

0 Ratings
G4RHL
Aspiring Contributor
Message 186 of 196

Go to solution

My pennyworth.

I bought the Homehub 6 when first offered to me last year by BT. I thought it would be the answer to all the issues I had with the previous versions. No. Fine at first but that lasted a short time. Problem partially cured by having things configured so that once a week it is powered off and after 10 minutes back on again. There are still issues. Often devices cannot see the wifi, sometimes they see the 2.4 and not the 5. It is common for my desktop not to see the 2.4 frequency and it is right alongside the Homehub 6. Switching off and rebooting helps but the problems come back later. It is not unusual for a device to simply loose connection. It is not the device causing this, it is definitely the hub. Because I have a weak spot in my lounge I use a range extender which has a wireless facility. It is not unusual for devices to find this a stronger signal than the Homehub, even when next to the Homehub. 

The Homehub is nothing like it was said to be - the fastest, wider coverage? Certainly not. Devices often are kicked out and it's a reboot needed. In my experience it is very ooor quality gear. I should have learned before having bad earlier versions.

Such has been my experience with BT stuff that I am now thinking of dumping it and spending the extra and to use Netgear Orbi.

0 Ratings
Message 187 of 196

Go to solution

Anyone got an update or resolution on this?

I have spent hours online chatting to BT 'help', and even with a brand new smart hub, doesn't work.  They will not seem to accept that FON is an issue - even though the hub worked perfectly until FON kicked in.

Getting rather annoyed now..!!

0 Ratings
AndyCoffin
Aspiring Expert
Message 188 of 196

Go to solution

No updates in reguard to firmware yet but i can report that since my bt wifi was finally turned off my hub runs cooler, the wifi signal is stronger and my ping is 3ms less.

i still think the firmware is not optimized properly, god help us all when they turn on the MU-MIMO

0 Ratings
MrX911
Contributor
Message 189 of 196

Go to solution
My hub 6 has been in its box for months on the May firmware it think. Anyone know when the last firmware was released? Seem to remember there was one in October but coined like this hasn't fixed everyone's issues.

Tempted to give it a bother try purely because range was better than my HH5
0 Ratings
smf22
Recognised Expert
Message 190 of 196

Go to solution
If I recall the latest release was in November with the version ending 2244. I think the October release ended 2236.

People are still seeing issues with this latest release so there's no guarantee it will fix whatever problem that resulted in you getting your Hub 5 back out.
0 Ratings