cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
barneyhairball
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 8

Hub 6 won't configure automatically nor connect to the web.

For the last 2 wks I can only configure my BT hub 6 manually. It just stopped doing it automatically for no known reason. My old BT hub 5 works like a dream, ie, automatically configures.  I need automatic because I am not computer savvy enought to do otherwise. I call BT most days but they are useless. The hub/wifi connection shows no problems. but it cannot connect to the net, so is therefore of no use.

I have kept the details/numbers I used up until it failed, and can now only connect manually. But after a few hours even this does not work.

My 6 month old MacBook air is cited as the problem and I have been told to take it back to PC World; the Apple man there said it won't be the mac, and with the old hub working, I believe him.

I have turned off the hub 6 and reset it more than once daily. I have left it switched off overnight. I have gone through the Assist Me feature in Network and it is useless as it just tells me to turn off the device and try again no matter which boxes I tick. I cannot find anything else to do.

Any advice is welcomed.

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
jaybeetoo
Aspiring Expert
Message 2 of 8

Re: Hub 6 won't configure automatically nor connect to the web.

I'm afraid you probably need to do the settings manually if you want the SmartHub to work.

The settings that work for me are listed at https://community.bt.com/t5/Connected-Devices-Other/SmartHub-was-rubbish-but-now-seems-to-be-OK/td-p...

0 Ratings
barneyhairball
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 8

Why should I?

Please don't take this the wrong way at all.  I paid good money for it to a company that is loaded with our cash and then they expect me to find a way around something they should fix?  It's just not good enough, but I do hear what you say and I am grateful for your input.

Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 8

@barneyhairballRing customer services and tell them the Home Hub 6 is unfit for purpose and insist they send a replacement HH5, don't take no for an answer.

0 Ratings
barneyhairball
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 8

Did you mean to say hub 5?

I presume you mean I should ask for another hub 6?

I'm not firm enough with them.  It's also not easy to understand them.  I can't convey how useless they are.  One even told me he was reading from a 'sheet' about Tiger (previous system).  This will be my last year with BT.  If I revert to my old hub 5 then I'll ask for a refund of the 50 quid.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 8

@barneyhairball wrote:

Did you mean to say hub 5?

I presume you mean I should ask for another hub 6?

I'm not firm enough with them.  It's also not easy to understand them.  I can't convey how useless they are.  One even told me he was reading from a 'sheet' about Tiger (previous system).  This will be my last year with BT.  If I revert to my old hub 5 then I'll ask for a refund of the 50 quid.

No, I mean a hub 5, the hub 6 is unfit for purpose, there is no point in getting another one.

0 Ratings
jaybeetoo
Aspiring Expert
Message 7 of 8

@barneyhairball wrote:

Why should I?

Please don't take this the wrong way at all.  I paid good money for it to a company that is loaded with our cash and then they expect me to find a way around something they should fix?  It's just not good enough, but I do hear what you say and I am grateful for your input.

I agree with what your saying.  It should be a consumer product that doesn't need to be configured.  Unfortunately, it is manual settings on HH6 or ask BT to send you a HH5.

0 Ratings
barneyhairball
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 8

The hub 6 has worked for a few months on automatic, not manual, so it can do it.  Anyone who has problems with the new hub should ask for a replacement, as only then will BT fix the problem or take it off the market. They are again calling me this Saturday, so I will persue the matter, if not, I'm quite happy to stop my DD payments and leave.  The figures you gave me mean nothing to me, thats why I need automatic.  I use the web for work and to search etc, not to try to fix BT's ****ups.  Will keep you posted if you would like me to.

0 Ratings