Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Parkside8
Beginner
Message 1 of 9

Hub location for infinity

Go to solution

I currently have my HH connected to a slave socket rather than the BT NTE5 master socket and my standard broadband has performed satisfactorily for many years using ethernet for my PC and wireless for other devices.

If I change to fibre to the kiosk will it still be possible to retain this arrangement?

In other words will the existing NTE5 together with the slaves support fibre or will the HH then have to be connected directly to the master socket?

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 9

Re: Hub location for infinity

Go to solution

Leave things as they are. There might be a very slight drop in speed, there might not. Try it and see.

0 Ratings
dimspace
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 9

Go to solution

bear in mind, new smart hub hass much better range that the old home hub (my HH had to be central in the property, with the SH - although ive now replaced with asus - i could have it at the master without any problems)

Also, you will now have the choice of 5ghz and 2.4ghz channels, so if you have any devices running 5ghz you will want the router closer to those devices (2.4 has better range, 5 has better speed)

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Parkside8
Beginner
Message 4 of 9

Go to solution

Thanks but I think we might be at cross purposes.

My query is simply to establish if I change to 'fibre to the cabinet' will I still be able to connect the HH to the slave socket by my PC or will it have to move to the NTE5 master.

I already have a hub 5 and it works perfectly throughout the house but I don't want to relocate it to the NTE5 located in the hall.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 9

Go to solution

As per message 2. Try it and see. If the speeds are significantly slow then you will need to connect to the master socket.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 9

Go to solution

It will work. The only question is whether it will work optimally. If it gives the speed you require, no need to connect to the master.

0 Ratings
Parkside8
Beginner
Message 7 of 9

Go to solution

Thanks Licquorice, this I believe is the correct answer.

There is a fair amount of conflicting info about the need to use the master socket but as I suspected this is nothing more than the preferred option and there is no technical or operational reason why a slave cannot be used.

My HH5 connected to a slave  provides an excellent wifi signal throughout the house and there is no measureable loss of speed as against the master socket or indeed the test socket.

I agree suck it and see is the only answer but it would certainly suit me to leave the router in it's current position, adjacent to my ethernet connected PC.

I just have to convince myself that a switch to fibre is warranted.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 9

Go to solution

As you are already using a Homehub 5 and decide to keep using it, it should seamlessly switch over without you having to change anything if do decide to go for fibre.

If you decided to use the Smarthub, which you may be supplied with if you change, it would require you to log your devices onto it and if you have a look through the forum you will see that the Smarthub can come with its own problems.

0 Ratings
Parkside8
Beginner
Message 9 of 9

Go to solution

I've now transferred to Infinity1 with the same HH5A hub connected to the same slave socket and everything seems to be fine. My speed has increased from 7/8 to 55Mbps. I haven't tried it but doubt that this speed is being much reduced by using the slave. I also now have a 5C master socket.

As a point of interest and purely coincidental the firmware has also been updated and shows more info on the Troubleshooting Helpdesk page. I notice that this update was predicted by the Mods recently.

Thanks for the help.

0 Ratings