cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 21 of 72

Re: Hub3 + Modem site specific connection issues following W10 Creators Update.

Go to solution

Still struggling with this issue and I'm unable to even get a feel of where the problems might be.

One useful bit of info is that one site that plays up (TenForums) has some user selectable 'skins' offering a different look. On the advice of the system administrator, and as I trial, I used a skin with no CDN (content delivery network). That has effectively 'fixed' the issue for that site although the basic reasons why the problem randomly appears are still not apparent.

Out of my list of sites that do give trouble, I find that as soon as one does, then all of the problem ones do.

And thinking about all that has been posted, and to turn some of the previous arguments on their head, a site like TenForums has plenty of (enthusiastic and knowledgable) users all using Edge and all running the latest version of W10. Nobody seems to be having issues like this. 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 22 of 72

Go to solution

What antivirus are you using?

Do you have any add ons in the browser?

Do you have any "safe browsing" add ons/programs running?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 23 of 72

Go to solution

No add ons and no third party AV.

I'm using W10's own 'Defender' and have even turned off as a test, real time protection, cloud-based protection and auto sample submission which are all new options in Defender. It made no difference.

I found an old (2014/2015) thread on here that was not dissimilar to my problems and tried one of the things mentioned there which was renaming the router from btbroadband to btinternet but it made zero difference. I've tried three different DNS servers now as well.

https://community.bt.com/t5/Connected-Devices-Other/Cannot-access-BBC-or-Facebook/td-p/1309069/page/...

Also looked (or rather had looked at for me) some info from the F12 Developer tools option in Edge which shows the delay in stuff loading, but nothing obvious was found.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 24 of 72

Go to solution

I have my doubts that it is a Homehub problem but to make sure you could remove it from the equation and make a direct connection from your PC to the modem which will eliminate the Homehub. Follow this guide to do that.

Use your computer as normal to see if the problem is still there. If it the problem does not occur you will know it is a faulty hub. 

Obviously while you are testing in this mode no other device will be able to use the Internet.

Step 1: Remove the Homehub from the modem

Step2: Connect your pc/laptop into the modem using LAN1 port

Step3: Open network and sharing centre on windows and click set up a new connection or network

Step4: Connect to the internet then click make a new connection Broadband PPPoE

Step5: Username bthomehub@btbroadband.com and the password as BT

Step6: connect, If it doesn't,keep pressing try again until it does.

Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 25 of 72

Go to solution

Thanks for that, and I didn't know it was possible to even do something like that actually. This problem may well come down to trying an approach like that though.

The modem and router aren't in a particularly convenient place but you have given me an idea. I'm going to look at putting W10 on my old Vista laptop (it will run W10 and I have a working disk W10 pre Creators image I can restore back to it). I'll then see if I can update that to the current version and whether that has the same issue. 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 26 of 72

Go to solution

I was suggesting taking the Homehub out of the equation to narrow the problem down to the computer.

Using another computer will not necessarily prove anything. There are no doubt millions of W10 users not having the problem that you are so it would appear to be specific to your set up on that specific computer.

You have already proved that it doesn't happen using IE11 on the computer so it would appear to be Edge related or some other program interfering on the computer. 

If you don't want to disconnect the Homehub you could try starting your computer in "safe mode with networking". This should help to rule out any programes on the computer that may be causing the problem.

Once you have started in safe mode open Edge and see if the problem is still there.

See link how to start W10 in safe mode.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/help/12376/windows-10-start-your-pc-in-safe-mode

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 27 of 72

Go to solution

A lot to report today... and in reverse order, I tried your suggestion of connecting to the modem directly. I experienced no issues during my tests in doing that.

The old Vista laptop fails to install the 64 bit version of W10 so that fell by the wayside. There is a buggy driver that crashes the install process at the later stages.

So... I created a new x64 USB installation media and again clean installed W10 onto my main PC. I then took a disk image. No programs/data/apps in fact anything were added. I created a new installation drive simply to remove any doubt that there could be some weird issue there, and the install drive was a common factor in the upgrade install and the clean install. So we'll have a new one and be sure.

So W10 Creators Edition is installed. 

I open Edge and connect to diyAudio and SevnForums. Access is instant. I close Edge and repeat. No access this time, or rather back to the half minute delay. Other sites are OK as before. Close Edge and repeat. Same, no access.

I now restore the disk image and repeat the process. Exactly the same. I get a one shot chance for the site to open normally and then they fail.

I repeat the restore again. Same result.

Now I do the restore and without opening Edge I connect to the modem as you described (I honestly didn;t know you could that... super easy and worked first time).

Now I open Edge and have instant access to the problem sites. Close Edge and repeat. All good. Again and again I can open and close Edge and its OK.

I now restore the image again and repeat the modem connection. Again its OK, no problems.

Hmmmm...........  

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 28 of 72

Go to solution

If I read your post correctly you are saying that everything performed as it should when connected directly to the modem with the Homehub disconnected.

When you reconnected the Homehub the problem returned.

Is that correct?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 29 of 72

Go to solution

Essentially yes, except (currently) for the last bit of your post, which is all rather curious. 

Since restoring the fully re-built W10 image and going back to the router the problem hasn't so far surfaced again. Speeds have always been good, and it was interesting to compare with and without router and to see they were essentially the same. Crazily good at the moment, 58.76DL and just over 15Mbs UL.

Back to the problem... all I can do is keep using things and see what develops. I have also been able to procure a 15 metre RJ45 lead and so if things go bad then I can comfortably try just the modem again and for an extended period.

Yesterdays tests seemed failrly conclusive and today, well its all up in the air again. 

Could using the modem have aquired a totally different range of IP ? and would that make any difference. Access to anything is extremely good at the moment.

Very odd indeed.

I'll keep you posted. 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 30 of 72

Go to solution

To bring this up to date...

The last couple of days have seen the issue return, although not as frequently it must be said. I still can not explain that, all I can do is report what is actually happening.

This morning was bad and needed a restart to get things working again. As before, it was the same sites affected. For curiosity I ran a speed check while the problem was apparent. It was lower than normal at around 30Mbs. I tried a couple of different on-line checkers and results were consistent. After the restart I was back at 50+Mbs.

I have now connected the 15 metre lead directly to the modem and will now do an extended test for a few days to try and nail this issue once and for all. Speeds with the 15 metre lead are still over 50Mbs.

0 Ratings