The evidence is mounting.
I have used a wired connection direct into the router for the last couple of days and used the PC intensively. Access to all sites has been literally instant, you couldn't wish for better.
This morning I made the switch back to the router (which has been disconnected and powered down all this time) and the problem has returned already with sites partially loading and taking a further 20 seconds or more to fully load.
Is there any chance a moderator could review this thread and all the steps I have taken to both try and reslove the issue and also the steps I have taken to try and pin down where the issue lies. Although no-one seems to think it likely the router is at fault, the evidence is suggesting otherwise.
Just to clarify, did you connect your PC to the Homehub by Ethernet when the problem came back after having no problems when you were connected directly to the modem or was it a wireless connection to the Homehub?
Problems returned when connected wirelessly to the Hub (which is my normal method). The Hub has had a factory reset applied while troubleshooting this issue.
Speeds via wireless are excellent. I just ran these two minutes ago connected wirelessly. These results are always good. Wireless channel is set to manual and Channel 1.
Can you connect to the Homehub by Ethernet and see if the problem of not reaching the sites returns or is it only happening on a wireless connection?
Yes, I can try that tomorrow and over the weekend if needs be. I know its a really weird problem that seems to be defying logic.
I'll keep you updated.
Did you/can you also try the sugestion about DNS servers in message 4
Yes, I did try those at the time. OpenDNS first and when that suffered the same fate, Google. So exactly the same symptoms for BT DNS, OpenDNS and Google.
Now running wired into Hub GigE port. All good (as expected) at the moment and the speeds are fantastic at a shade under 60Mbs.
If the problem only occurs when on wireless you should check that your wireless network card has up to date drivers. Use the card manufacturer's web site or the computer's manufacturer's website rather than using Windows update.
With it being a clean install I found that W10 installed most of the required drivers automatically. Card reader, Realtek audio and Dell Quickset (keyboard management etc) are the only ones I've had to install manually.
Interesting thought. The WiFi is an Intel Centrino Wireless N 1030. Intels own driver detection utility can't offer anything at all but I did a search of the Dell site and found a driver deemed suitable for W10 that was applicable to my PC.
As I use disk imaging (and am doing for all this) I can try pretty much anything without fear of cauing problems. The Dell driver installed correctly and seems OK at first use. So after a day of being connected via Ethernet cable I'm now trying the alternate driver.
As ever... I'll keep you posted.