cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
Message 41 of 72

Re: Hub3 + Modem site specific connection issues following W10 Creators Update.

Go to solution

@Mooly wrote:

With it being a clean install I found that W10 installed most of the required drivers automatically. Card reader, Realtek audio and Dell Quickset (keyboard management etc) are the only ones I've had to install manually.

Interesting thought. The WiFi is an Intel Centrino Wireless N 1030. Intels own driver detection utility can't offer anything at all but I did a search of the Dell site and found a driver deemed suitable for W10 that was applicable to my PC.

As I use disk imaging (and am doing for all this) I can try pretty much anything without fear of cauing problems. The Dell driver installed correctly and seems OK at first use. So after a day of being connected via Ethernet cable I'm now trying the alternate driver.

As ever... I'll keep you posted.      

Hope the Dell sourced driver works........you have a better chance.

I used an external USB wireless adapter in the early days of Windows 10.

That was until the Centrino N 1030 was sorted. It was a HP laptop.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 42 of 72

Go to solution

Thanks, and thanks for the info. It sure is one heck of a weird issue.

Well unfortunately I have to report that the same problem has stuck at 9am today. What I have done now is change wireless channels (changed wirelessly) without closing the browser. I've gone from ch 1 to ch 13. That in itself has cleared the issue without me having to restart or take any other action. As ever, I'll just have to see how it goes. 

(I switched to ch1 a couple of years back because I found the auto setting was letting speeds drop to below 6Mbs and they would never automatically recover. Using a different channel fixed that issue instantly and ch1 always looked the cleanest when I used a WiFi app on a tablet to see who was using what)  

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 43 of 72

Go to solution

Swapping channels has failed, same result.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
Message 44 of 72

Go to solution

@Mooly wrote:

Swapping channels has failed, same result.

It was the same problem and symptoms on the HH6.

At the time, it was all blamed on the HH6, and we had to wait for a firmware update.

Now, I'm not so sure - it was a combination of Windows 10, HH6, and an old Wireless card driver.

(The Intel website now says that support for that wireless adaptor card, N 1030 will not continue.)

You could try a USB wireless adaptor. (TP link?).

They are more likely to be up to date with drivers, and support can be good.

I've looked through the Windows 10 News and the reports are all doom - "wait until we have resolved issues with Creators Upate".

Windows will fix the problem, eventually.

It's always useful to have backup device anyway, and they have  5ghz, if you were to change your router at a later date.

Nowadays they are all wireless ac, USB 3, but are backwards compatible with wireless n, USB 2.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 45 of 72

Go to solution

Thats interesting to know. I've been reading about all the HH6 issues on here... not good.

You seem to be saying it could be any one or a combination of things. This is the feeling I get.

All was OK prior to the Creators Update of W10... so it has to be the PC or OS.

Wired connection into the modem is fine... so the hub could be incompatable in some way.

Wired connection into the hub is also OK in the time I have tested it. So not the hub.

Drivers then... I've picked a 5yr old one and thats the same. The MS provided one is more current but still the same.

I'm still trying different things. Currently have the Hub on 'N' only and not B/G/N (who knows, more testing) and I've also turned off (in W10 network and sharing) IPv6. Its not active anyway in the Hub but again, you just don't know.

One observed fact. Some sites when they fail to load correctly do actually load in random portions appearing a bit out of position on the screen. For example the top right quarter of the screen loads (allbeit incorrectly) then the header background of the site might appear, again out of place and so on. Then after 20 seconds or so its loads correctly.

On the direct wired connection I seem to see that same behaviour but it still all loads in under a second. Its as if I could say that at that point, if I were on WiFi, it would have failed.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Expert
Message 46 of 72

Go to solution

Mooly wrote:

"One observed fact. Some sites when they fail to load correctly do actually load in random portions appearing a bit out of position on the screen. For example the top right quarter of the screen loads (allbeit incorrectly) then the header background of the site might appear, again out of place and so on. Then after 20 seconds or so its loads correctly."

That looks like a script issue.  Did you try updating the browser?

Perhaps check the add-ons.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 47 of 72

Go to solution

@Liam_ wrote:

@Mooly wrote:

"One observed fact. Some sites when they fail to load correctly do actually load in random portions appearing a bit out of position on the screen. For example the top right quarter of the screen loads (allbeit incorrectly) then the header background of the site might appear, again out of place and so on. Then after 20 seconds or so its loads correctly."

That looks like a script issue.  Did you try updating the browser?

Perhaps check the add-ons.

Unless I have missed something, from what the OP has posted, the problem would appear to only occur using Edge on a wireless connection. When a wired connection is used everything works as it should. If it was a script issue, would that not happen regardless of how the computer was connecting to the Internet?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
Message 48 of 72

Go to solution

@Mooly wrote:

Thats interesting to know. I've been reading about all the HH6 issues on here... not good.

You seem to be saying it could be any one or a combination of things. This is the feeling I get.

All was OK prior to the Creators Update of W10... so it has to be the PC or OS.

Wired connection into the modem is fine... so the hub could be incompatable in some way.

Wired connection into the hub is also OK in the time I have tested it. So not the hub.

Drivers then... I've picked a 5yr old one and thats the same. The MS provided one is more current but still the same.

I'm still trying different things. Currently have the Hub on 'N' only and not B/G/N (who knows, more testing) and I've also turned off (in W10 network and sharing) IPv6. Its not active anyway in the Hub but again, you just don't know.

One observed fact. Some sites when they fail to load correctly do actually load in random portions appearing a bit out of position on the screen. For example the top right quarter of the screen loads (allbeit incorrectly) then the header background of the site might appear, again out of place and so on. Then after 20 seconds or so its loads correctly.

On the direct wired connection I seem to see that same behaviour but it still all loads in under a second. Its as if I could say that at that point, if I were on WiFi, it would have failed.

If it's any help:-

My driver is 15.11.09, date 30-04-2015. (That's 2 years ago.)

That's for the current Windows 10 Anniversary version

There was a later version to be found on independent driver websites...if you can trust them! They would scan and recommend a driver....hmmm (something or other like "Driver Doctor".)

They made no difference to  the Windows 10 1507 version.

If you think that your router gives ipV6 then you can disable it on your pc as ipV4 covers most if not all websites. (something like 10%, if that, are ipV6 capable.)

Your symptoms seem to fit those described on the Windows 10 Updates News articles.

But they do at least imply that a solution can be found.

Perhaps on Microsoft Community, or even Dell forums, or other reputable forums.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Expert
Message 49 of 72

Go to solution

What with Windows updates being somewhat frequent.  The possibility that Microsoft have broken something else, like Edge, with a recent update would seem to be rather likely.  Win 10 updates seem to be breaking more than they're fixing recently. Only seen that type of behaviour here with some scripts blocked in the browser.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
Message 50 of 72

Go to solution

@gg30340 wrote:

Unless I have missed something, from what the OP has posted, the problem would appear to only occur using Edge on a wireless connection. When a wired connection is used everything works as it should. If it was a script issue, would that not happen regardless of how the computer was connecting to the Internet?

Sorry, missed that.

Was just trying to help, not take over.

First thing to do is to stop using Edge, and go to IE11, especially if seaching out there on the world wild web. Smiley Indifferent

Spoiler

0 Ratings