cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 61 of 72

Re: Hub3 + Modem site specific connection issues following W10 Creators Update.

Go to solution

Problem is intermitent and usually strikes two or three times a day. Once its struck then the sites affected continue to be so until I either.

1/ Reboot the router (but not the modem).

2/ Change wireless channels on the fly, that seems to clear the issue.

3/ Restarting the PC also can clear it.

4/ Close the browser and leave things running for say 30 minutes. When I return it will all be back to speed again. Just closing a reopening the browser during a session does not fix things.

Tbh I don't really fancy going down the USB route but I can see where you are coming from in that its a way to prove things.

I'll have a think where to go next.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 62 of 72

Go to solution

Either ask for a HH4, buy your own wireless router, or replace the whole lot with a decent 3rd party VDSL modem/router.

The latter option would be the best, and a much neater option.

Even a cheap VDSL router (£35) is likely to give better wireless performance than you have now. The HH3 has always suffered from the problems you describe, which is why it was replaced by the HH4.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
Message 63 of 72

Go to solution

@Keith_Beddoe wrote:

Either ask for a HH4, buy your own wireless router, or replace the whole lot with a decent 3rd party VDSL modem/router.

The latter option would be the best, and a much neater option.

Even a cheap VDSL router (£35) is likely to give better wireless performance than you have now. The HH3 has always suffered from the problems you describe, which is why it was replaced by the HH4.

Yes, try Keith's approach.

Also it's worth checking the Windows event logs from Control Panel.

This may give you a clue.

It's remote possibilty, or probably a red herring, that with laptops, if the wireless card sees a problem with the data flow, then it locks out the power supply to the card through a devious route of Power Save.

Then a simple power down, power up of the pc fixes the problem..until the next time.

Have you disabled Power Save features?

Didn't help me, but it helped others - so they said.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 64 of 72

Go to solution

Thanks for all the advice and help folks.

I've come up with something different to try... I've got my hands on an old Hub 2 which although it won't work on Infinity, it will work as a wireless point. So I've coupled the hubs together and configured the Hub 2 manually using some instructions I found elsewhere on the forums.

I was going to add that its working well... hmmm well it was but it isn't now. Same issue. That happened quickly, just a few minutes in.

Thats not looking promising then. Very surprised at that result tbh.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 65 of 72

Go to solution

As I have already said, I can not see how the problem can be with your Homehub because you reported everything works as it should when you used another browser on both wireless and wired. 

If the problem only happens when using Edge and has only happened since you did a Windows 10 update the problem has to be with Microsoft. It is either Edge or Windows 10 causing the problem some where on your computer, most likely with your wireless network card.

Can you try using another browser for a prolonged period of time to see what happens? If all is well on both wireless and wired it has to be Edge and I would suggest that you dump it until Microsoft bring out another update. 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 66 of 72

Go to solution

Can't disagree with anything you say there. 

It is just Edge with a wireless connection that is the issue, any other scenario is OK. I've proved that in the last couple of weeks to my own satisfaction.

I will certainly do more research on the problem though, and also see in the medium term if any fixes appear from MS. I'm reluctant to use another browser simply because I like Edge and have got used to its finer points.

I'll certainly keep this alive and updated as and when things progress.   

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 67 of 72

Go to solution

I think I'll have to bring this one to a close for now. I posted about the problem over at Intel yesterday and received a reply back saying that this was perhaps expected behaviour.

You can read their reply here:

https://communities.intel.com/thread/113976

Hopefully there will be some fix from MS for this.

Thanks to all for the help the last couple of weeks.   

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Expert
Message 68 of 72

Go to solution

@Mooly

Your Dell Vostro 3750 is now around six years old and designed to run on Windows 7.

I read the Intel reply, so the wireless card is obsolete and there will be no new drivers.  They suggest going back to a previous OS that worked with everything.  Seems reasonable.  I doubt very much that Microsoft will introduce a fix for what is now an obsolete component.

Looks like you have three choices:-

1) Stop using Edge.

2) Roll back to an OS that has proper drivers.

3) See about updating the network card.

As an aside, I did a clean install of the latest Win 10  yesterday and can confirm it breaks a few things that worked with earlier editions, both (some) software and drivers.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
Message 69 of 72

Go to solution

@Mooly wrote:

I think I'll have to bring this one to a close for now. I posted about the problem over at Intel yesterday and received a reply back saying that this was perhaps expected behaviour.

You can read their reply here:

https://communities.intel.com/thread/113976

Hopefully there will be some fix from MS for this.

Thanks to all for the help the last couple of weeks.   

You will have decided for yourself what to do.

You should look at results from a Google, or other, search using words "Windows 10 Updates News".

The articles will keep you up to date with day by day progress.

You need your own commonsense "filtering", as some of the articles are just gossip.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 70 of 72

Go to solution

Buy a wireless dongle and use that. They only cost a few pounds or use a different browser.

0 Ratings