Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
maxoys45
Beginner
Message 1 of 13

Huge Lag Spikes on Fibre wired connection

Hello,

I've read a few similar posts on here but they all seem to be on wireless so the suggestion is always to just use a wired connection... which i am. I got the top BT Fibre package in September last year and everything was fine until the new year.

Now I get extreme lag spikes for about 1 second every minute. I play online games a lot so this can be very frustrating. The speeds i'm getting are fine and I have no issue streaming... it's just the crazy lag spike that never goes away.

I've spoken to tech support twice over the phone and they've said there's no problems with the line. I've tried disabling the wireless to rule out outside connections being the problem. I've also tried changing settings on the homehub panel (suggested fixes by the phone support: disabling WPS, disabled 5GHz wireless, changing SSID) with no luck.

I've also run a continuous ping through command prompt to the bbc website and the routers IP - when the lag spike occurs both of these jump to 1000ms+ then instantly return to normal.

There are 3 wired computers in the house and when it occurs, all 3 of us experience the same spike... i've also tried disconnecting the other devices with no luck. I have run anti-virus scans on my computer and have made sure that no software is running that would potentially be using the connection...running out of ideas 😞

I believe there is a problem with the router itself but cannot be sure - is it easy to get a replacement router from BT? Or if anybody has heard of this problem before, know of any fixes?

Sorry for lots of text - just wanted to cover everything that i've tried so far 🙂 

Thanks,

Max

0 Ratings
12 REPLIES 12
dlmfun
Contributor
Message 2 of 13

Re: Huge Lag Spikes on Fibre wired connection

is this all through the day or just at certain times? it could well be a faulty router, ive noticed one of my routers has started playing up recently and its causing ping spikes.

0 Ratings
maxoys45
Beginner
Message 3 of 13

Yep, this is any time / any day - throughout.
0 Ratings
dlmfun
Contributor
Message 4 of 13

sounds like the router to me then mate, take out all 3 pcs and then try wireless to see if you get same issue.

0 Ratings
maxoys45
Beginner
Message 5 of 13

Will try that - any idea how difficult it is to get a new homehub out of BT?
0 Ratings
dlmfun
Contributor
Message 6 of 13

pretty easy mate, if you have the homehub 5 just say that it keeps disconnecting all the time and that someone you know had the same issue and a new router fixed it.

ive had 3 homehub 5s from bt that all disconnected constantly until i used an openreach modem with it.

0 Ratings
maxoys45
Beginner
Message 7 of 13

Ah right ok cool. will do! thank you 🙂

0 Ratings
zRampaage
Message 8 of 13

Hey did you ever sort this out in having the exact same problem and its been happening for a month now starting to loose hope

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 13

@zRampaage 

This thread is 4 yrs old and customers have not been on forum since so unlikely to reply

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Sage
Sage
Message 10 of 13

You do realise this thread is 4yrs old?

0 Ratings