Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RayP
Aspiring Expert
Message 1 of 18

Huge drop in 5Ghz download speed every 3-4 days

Go to solution

I have had the HH5 router for a few years but have only recently started using the 5GHz wireless option for several devices including an iPad, Windows 10 laptop and smart TV.

I have separated the 5Ghz SSID from the 2.4Ghz one and have refreshed the channel selection (it's on automatic) but it continues to use Channel 36. There are no other neighbours within a reasonable distance using the same channel.

The download speed will drop from 66Mbps down to 14Mbps every 3-4 days and I have to perform a reset on the router to get the original speeds back. I don't think having to do this every 3-4 days is acceptable.

Do these problems exist with the latest Home Hub? If they don't then I've a reasonable case for a free upgrade. Would you agree?

0 Ratings
17 REPLIES 17
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 18

Re: Huge drop in 5Ghz download speed every 3-4 days

Go to solution

Setting aside your wireless problem, I would not class the Smarthub 6 an "upgrade". It does nothing more/better than  the HH5 does and it does not come without its own problems. Have a look through the forum.

You would be far better to spend some of your hard earned cash on a decent third party VDSLModem/router and replace the cheaply produced for the masses ISP router.

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 18

Go to solution

@gg30340 I disagree and having used a couple of hh6 since inception the wireless gave me better coverage than HH5 but apart from that little difference

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 18

Go to solution

@imjolly wrote:

@gg30340 I disagree and having used a couple of hh6 since inception the wireless gave me better coverage than HH5 but apart from that little difference

Would you class it as an "upgrade" or just a newer model?

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 18

Go to solution

@gg30340  difficult newer model with an upgraded wireless

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 18

Go to solution

@imjolly wrote:

@gg30340  difficult newer model with an upgraded wireless

Haha very diplomatic.

0 Ratings
RayP
Aspiring Expert
Message 7 of 18

Go to solution

@gg30340wrote:

Setting aside your wireless problem, I would not class the Smarthub 6 an "upgrade". It does nothing more/better than  the HH5 does and it does not come without its own problems. Have a look through the forum.

You would be far better to spend some of your hard earned cash on a decent third party VDSLModem/router and replace the cheaply produced for the masses ISP router.

I'm not adverse to buying an independent but it does seem to be getting BT off the hook. Anything you can recommend and given I'm no network expert how dificult are these things to configure compared to the BT one?

0 Ratings
RayP
Aspiring Expert
Message 8 of 18

Go to solution

@imjollywrote:

Thanks for your reply. The wifi speed is excellent after a reset and for a couple of days. Does the HH6 share the same problem? If so then it seems pointless staying with BT kit although Which? has awarded the HH6 Best Buy status.

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 18

Go to solution

the hh6 hubs which I used did not give me any wireless problems once I split the networks and selected my channels manually

many use the tplink 9970 which is cheap £35/40 and from reports works well for a single banded router

RayP
Aspiring Expert
Message 10 of 18

Go to solution

@imjollywrote:

the hh6 hubs which I used did not give me any wireless problems once I split the networks and selected my channels manually

many use the tplink 9970 which is cheap £35/40 and from reports works well for a single banded router

Thanks for the recommend. I think I'll do as you did and set the channels manually rather than use the auto mode. If the problem persists then I need to make a decision. But I need 2.4 and 5 as some kit doesn't work on 5.

0 Ratings