cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 3

Hybrid connect with own router in front of hub

I’ve a very bespoke home network, E.g. I’m running an L3 switch to a router that itself uses the bt router for a gateway.

dhcp is provided outside the hub, which the hubs only purposes are a gateway, wifi (with the discs via the switch)…. with the hybrid.

My question really is around the hybrid and the bt hub settings.

The hybrid is connected directly to the bt smart hub, and I’d assume from the time delays in switching to hybrid that the hub is polling to see when the fibre modem connection dies before bringing the hybrid connection online. If this is correct, is there a way to introduce my own router between the hub and the fibre modem and maintain the hybrid usability? So that if the connection dies from my own router (and therefore likely the modem) the bt hub picks up with the hybrid and routes there instead?

Is this viable to configure and if so how without losing gigabit fibre speeds when all is working?

I’m trying to completely separate out the WiFi and it’s devices from the rest of the network but still have whole home coverage and hybrid usability.

0 Ratings
2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3

Re: Hybrid connect with own router in front of hub

Nope. You can't do that.

As FTTP is so different from VDSL I wonder why you have Hybrid connect at all, it's a waste of money.

Good marketing though.

Message 3 of 3

Re: Hybrid connect with own router in front of hub

It’s proved useful to have the hybrid on occasion when the fibre stopped unexpectedly.

Annnd… it is possible to use my own router, that much I’ve done already as a trial. The modem is separate from the Router which makes it so. So the difference between FTTP and ADSL would seem irrelevant in that case.

I know I can replace the router entirely with my own, I’m looking to use the BT router as a wifi with the discs but then use my own router upstream with the hybrid as the fallback.

0 Ratings