Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
TheArtfulDodger
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 3

I Need Modem Advice

Go to solution

Hello:

I recently purchased a LinkSys EA9500 Router somewhat blindly. I assumed (what a mistake that is) that all routers came with modems but obviously mine didn't! One of the BT Technicians suggested I use the "little white box" - Huawei EchoLife HG612 modem - that BT was supplying with their earlier routers. The problem is I can't get it to work! I have tried to "unlock" it (see Kitz) but that hasn't worked either.

So, I would like to find out EXACTLY what sort of modem I would need? Perhaps by way of a couple of examples (I know thast recommendations are forbidden but some examples would allow me to know what to search for).

I have BT Infinity, FTTC as I'm sure that matters.

Any suggestions would be most appreciated.

Sparky

0 Ratings
2 REPLIES 2
Liam_
Expert
Message 2 of 3

Re: I Need Modem Advice

Go to solution

I currently use a DrayTek Vigor 130 on my Infinity connection.  It needs no configuration and works right out of the box.

The other option is a Netgear DM 200, this is a limited capability modem/router and needs configuring to run in modem only mode.

The Netgear is cheaper than the DrayTek so choice is yours.

Your router needs to be configured with  suitable settings:

PPPoE

username:- bthomehub@btinternet.com

Password:- bt  (if required)

That should theoretically be it.  It is most unlikely you need to set the VLAN ID, usually 101.  If it is set, then that could be the cause of the lack of connection provided the rest of the settings above are in place.

0 Ratings
TheArtfulDodger
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 3

Re: I Need Modem Advice

Go to solution

Just bought the DrayTek - many thanks!

Sparky

0 Ratings