cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
reaktor24
Beginner
Message 1 of 7

I am upgrading to BT Infinity finally, but...

Go to solution

I want to keep using my Home Hub 3. Yes, you heard right.

I don't want to use WiFi transmissions so HH3 is the only BT hub where it can be switched off.

This website explains how to do it: http://wavegoodbye.info/How_to_turn_off_HH3_Wireless.html

I've found out that I will need an OpenReach modem installed by a BT engineer - which links up with HH3.

Are BT still allowing this or will they try and force me to use the new 'Smart Hub'?

I DO NOT want wireless microwave transmissions flooding my house. So can I just call BT and request this OpenReach modem be installed instead of acquiring a god awful 'Smart Hub'.

Cheers

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Liam_
Expert
Message 2 of 7

Re: I am upgrading to BT Infinity finally, but...

Go to solution

Openreach haven't supplied modems for something around 3 years.  Infinity is now self install.   So if you don't want the new hub and want to keep using the hub 3 you will need to buy a modem.

You can get a used Openreach modem from the usual auction site or buy a new third party modem.  There are two devices that would do the job.  The Netgear DM200, which is a router and needs configured as a modem 'only' or the DrayTek Vigor 130, which is a pure modem and works right out of the box.  No configuration required.

The final possibility is to buy a VDSL router which obviously won't broadcast the BT Wifi Fon signal and let you disable wireless altogether if that is what you want.

Choice is yours.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 7

Go to solution
you can turn wireless off on the smart hub
0 Ratings
reaktor24
Beginner
Message 4 of 7

Go to solution

Thanks for that Liam. I'll take your advice and purchase one of the modems you've suggested.

@John46

Check out the webpage in the first link and you'll see that none of the hubs can have their wireless transmissions stopped completely. Only the home hub 3 can be turned off completely. The rest still emit a microwave signal for the BTFON service - even if wireless is turned off!

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 7

Go to solution

you can also disable BT FON now called BT WI-FI using the BT FON website on the hub 4 ,5 &6 your website  is incorrect I am afraid or just buy your own third party router with no Wi-Fi on it 

0 Ratings
smf22
Recognised Expert
Message 6 of 7

Go to solution

@john46 wrote:
you can also disable BT FON using the BT FON website

Though as has been noted on this forum many times, it would seem BT don't have the ability to leave it disabled. New firmware seems to equal re-enabling of BT WiFi irrespective of whether a user has opted out.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 7

Go to solution
The website the OP posted also mentions that fact as firmware upgrades are fairly rare an occasional check to see if it is activated again would solve that
0 Ratings