cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
hej2013
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 5

I believe my BT Smart Hub throws a strop every now and again! That can't be right!

Approximately once every week my 2.4 ghz wi fi network just stops working!  I have a Bt Smart Hub and Superfast Fibre 2 Unlimited broadband package and over the last few months with increasing regularity my 2.4 ghz wifi network just shuts down.  I still have blue light on router and wired(ethernet) connections still work, and just now when it happened my son had managed to still connect on the 5 ghz network!  When you log in to the hub (a really terrible inteface btw!) It just crawls along and pretends everything is ok when clearly it is not!  The only solution is a full power down power up cycle -which also increassingly is taking longer to do - i.e. from power on to blue light is of the order of 4 or 5 minutes! And it's usually a good 5 minutes after that before devices can start connecting again!

I have been through the whole "fault reporting" thing on BT site and have had by BT Broadband connection refreshed and checked (at both ends!!)and everything is seemingly honkey dory - and I actually do buy that bit!  However the wifi router reliability is just appalling!  The problem is just getting worse!

Can anyone please help me!?

Surely my relatively new and shiny BT Smart Hub shouldn't be performing like this!?!

Tags (2)
0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 5

Re: I believe my BT Smart Hub throws a strop every now and again! That can't be right!

Welcome to this user forum.

Its probably faulty, ask BT for a replacement, as the 2.4GHz  wireless module is failing.

There are a few faulty ones reported on this forum.

hej2013
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 5

Re: I believe my BT Smart Hub throws a strop every now and again! That can't be right!

Thank you Keith - how do I actually do that? I have found the BT website to be rather obtuse in this regard!
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 5

@hej2013 wrote:
Thank you Keith - how do I actually do that? I have found the BT website to be rather obtuse in this regard!

You have to ring up and speak to the broadband helpdesk. Tell them that the 2.4GHz wireless on the home hub stops transmitting.

Provided you are still in a contract, they should send a replacement, and a returns bag for the faulty unit.

0 Ratings
aaronf
Contributor
Message 5 of 5

Also some advice when the new router comes keep the old one for a few days. Similar thing happened to me and it turned out that the new one was faulty cutting out every hour. Probably will be fine but just keep for a few days just incase. 

0 Ratings