cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RickyG512
Beginner
Message 1 of 25

I have 2x Home Hub 5's, can i use my 2nd Home Hub 5 as a repeater/slave?

Hi All,

I hope someone can help me 🙂

As the title suggests, I have 2x Home Hub 5 routers in my possession, and i have a little room at the back of the garden, i would like to setup the 2nd Home Hub 5 in the little room at the back of the garden, therefor essentially having a 2nd wifi signal and 3/4 Ethernet ports in the little room, Unfortunately i cannot use a powerline because for some reason the builder hasn’t wired it that way, i can however run a 10m Ethernet cable to the room at the back.

So my question is how do I use a HH5 as a repeater/slave, together with a HH5 master? Is it even possible as i assume ISP provided routers arnt as flexible with many settings?

If this idea doesn’t work of 2x HH5's working together, is there something else i could buy instead?

Also, i have seen this product on the BT website,

http://connectedhome.bt.com/product/wifi-home-hotspot-500-kit-powerline-adapter/

this product seems to be perfect, but it wants to connect to your master router via powerline, I'm looking for the exact same setup (2nd wifi/RJ45 ports further away) but to connect to your master via Ethernet and not powerline

Your advice will be much appreciated 🙂

Thanks in advance!

Tags (2)
0 Ratings
24 REPLIES 24
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 25

Re: I have 2x Home Hub 5's, can i use my 2nd Home Hub 5 as a repeater/slave?

This guide will tell you how. Although it for the HH3, the same applies to other home hubs.

http://forumhelp.dyndns.info/wireless/hh3link.html

You will need to run an Ethernet cable.

Highlighted
RickyG512
Beginner
Message 3 of 25

Thanks for your reply Keith 🙂

ok so ive followed those instructions and it appears to be working, the master hub is working as normal, im currently running my desktop and smartphones off the slave hub to test it all for obvious reasons but ive noticed some strange things, such as,

1. although ethernet and wifi on the slave hub is working, the orange light is constantly on, and the 'b' symbol is flashing none stop on the slave hub, (blue light on the master hub)

2. i am unable to carry out instruction "Click Port Forwarding, then Firewall and select Disabled, click apply"  this is due to firstly the options are reversed when logged into the router, you can click on the firewall tab, then port forwarding tab, not the otherway round as described in the instruction, then there is no disable button :-/, not sure if this instruction is out of date?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 25

The orange light will be on because there is no connection to the broadband line.

Its possible some of the instructions do not apply to the HH5, as it was written for the HH3. The person who wrote it, no longer visits this forum.

As long as its all working, I would not worry.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 25

Black insulation tape cures the light problems Smiley Wink

0 Ratings
RickyG512
Beginner
Message 6 of 25

Hi All,

haha i was actually thinking the black tape!

i wasnted to ask, when i use just 1x HH5, i get about 68mb internet speed, wifi or ethernet, but when i got 2x HH5's togeather as a master and slave/repeater, i get about 54mb internet speed with wifi or ethernet, does anyone know whats causing this huge speed drop when 2 HH5's connected togeather? thats 54mb speed on both routers by the way, soon as i go back to 1 router i get 68mb again, both routers are connected togeather with a cat6 cable, as is everything else

thanks youuu

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 25

Make sure smart wireless is disabled, and both HH5s are on different channels, separated by at least two channels. They may be interfering with each other, which will cause wireless re-transmissions, and slow everything down.

0 Ratings
RickyG512
Beginner
Message 8 of 25

Hi Keith, thanks for your reply again, I have already carried out what you have just mentioned as these steps are also mentioned in the link you set me a few days ago. This speed reduction also applies to Ethernet speeds in both master and slave routers so I'm guessing it may not be to do with the wifi? Do u have any other suggestions possibly? As always thanks in advance 🙂
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 25

Have you used good quality Ethernet cable to connect them together, as they may not be connecting together at full speed, or there may be Ethernet line errors or duplex mismatch.

To be honest, you are not really going to notice that speed drop under normal operation.

The only other way would be to forget using the slave HH5, and buy a proper Ethernet switch, and wireless access point. The HH5 was never intended to be used this way, so the results could be a bit variable.

0 Ratings
2narmy
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 25

I have just followed the link that Keith gave as I had previously used it on 2 x home hub 3. I now have 2 x bt hub 5 linked up using powerline extenders, I get approx 20meg on the primary hub and about 5 meg on the secondary, when i connect via an ethernet (Cat5) i get the full 20 meg as on the primary hub.

I will be installing a cat 5 cable to link the other end of our cottage up as we have thick walls and will then take out the power line adapters and connect the second hub 5 to the other end.

I followed the instructions to a T and they work a treat.

Many thanks to Keith yet again.

0 Ratings