cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 11 of 25

Re: I have 2x Home Hub 5's, can i use my 2nd Home Hub 5 as a repeater/slave?

The original information was provided by a forum member who no longer posts on this forum, however he gave his permission for me to add it to my help website, so I am glad it has proved useful.

0 Ratings
Stan1971
Message 12 of 25

Hi Keith,

Thanks for providing the instructions for this.

Im about to connect two HH5s myself but on trying to follow the instructions that you had produced, from the forum member who no longer posts, I got confused about the difference between hh3b (secondary) and hh3a (secondary).  Of what I can work out, it's the step re closing or keeping open your browser. I'm not sure why this would make any difference. I might be missing something here that's obvious but if you clarify where I'm misunderstanding something, I'd appreciate it if you could let me know. 

Thanks again. 

0 Ratings
cgroyle
Message 13 of 25

I followed this guide last year, and worked a treat, but the link is now dead and I've just moved home and want to re do this process with my new, old hh5.

please get in touch.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 14 of 25

0 Ratings
terry_J
Message 15 of 25

I have a spare BT smart hub and tried to set this up as all the settings which need changing are accessible from it's administration panels. No problems setting it up and seeing the new 2.4GHZ and 5GHZ networks.

When trying to connect using wi-fi from any Apple device (Macbook, iPad, iPhone) the connection appeared to work on the settings screen, but no connection icon appeared on the top icon on iPad/iPhone and the status icon on the Macbook top bar also showed no connection and no network/internet access was possible. Investigation showed that no IP address was being assigned from my DHCP server.

Connecting my MacBook via ethernet cable into one of the ports on the back of the smart hub all worked correctly. Connecting a Windows laptop and my Kindle via wifi also worked fine.

Any suggestions as to what settings in IOS or elsewhere might be preventing the IP address assignment to work for Apple IOS devices connecting via wifi but allow it for ethernet connections and non Apple wifi connections.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 16 of 25

0 Ratings
rugbyfisher
Message 17 of 25

I have two home hubs 6 and I have tried using these  instructions to set up and ethernet connected sub router.  The problem I am now facing is the sub-router warns there is no I.P.Address.  Any advice as to what I have done wrong would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Graham

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 18 of 25

You need to give the slave hub an IP address outside of the DHCP range of the master hub (192.168.1.20 say) and turn off DHCP on the slave.

0 Ratings
Liam_
Expert
Message 19 of 25

@rugbyfisher 

If you give the second router (hub) an IP address of 192.168.1.20 (For example, pick an address to suit your setup.) and turn off DHCP then connect it LAN to LAN with the other router it should work.

There is a whole thread on this sort of thing:

https://community.bt.com/t5/Connected-Devices-Other/BTHub6-Smart-Hub-As-WiFi-Extender-or-AP-Access-P...

Though personally I would buy a proper wireless access point, rather than muck around with a hub.

@licquoricebeat me to it.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 20 of 25

@rugbyfisherIf you mean it is complaining it hasn't got a public IP address (it doesn't need one in this context), that is to be expected as there is no DSL input and thus no WAN connectivity on the slave.

0 Ratings