cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 7

I lose WiFi on my Internet but not wired connection

It seems that every couple of hours I completely lose WiFi on my devices such as phone/alexa, but my devices with wired connection are all working fine. I'm having to restart the router 3 times a day. 

Does this mean the router is on the way out?

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7

Re: I lose WiFi on my Internet but not wired connection

I am having the same problem and I have only been with BT since 05/05/21. I have also raised a Post in this forum.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 7

@Nectori 

Have you turned of smart setup in hub manager?

Have you tried selecting the wireless channels manually instead of leaving on auto?  I would use a WiFi analyser on your mobile as you will then see channels in use near you and enable you to select a free or less congested channel.

Constant resets of the hub will result in DLM taking action thinking your line is unstable resulting in increase in noise margin and a reduction in connection speed.

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 4 of 7

I downloaded the WiFi analyser and I was on channel 6 which showed it was on 1star out of 10, so I switched to channel 8 which showed it was the best. However when switching to that channel it went down to 1 star.

I couldn't see anywhere that I could turn off Smart WiFi?

Thanks again

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 7

@Nectoriwrote:

I couldn't see anywhere that I could turn off Smart WiFi?

Thanks again

see What is Smart Setup on the BT Hub? How can I turn it on and off? | BT Help

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 7

I had disabled it without realising in the previous post.

However it is still doing it! I must be 2 years into contract! 

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 7

If you are going to set the channel manually it’s worth remembering that in 2.4GHz only channels 1, 6 and 11 are truly separate*.  The channels in between overlap with the ones either side and can cause interference.  (This is why the channels in 5GHz are set four apart, so people can’t use the channels in between.  An oversight when 2.4GHz was being developed).

Two wireless access points can share the same channel if necessary and a system known as CSMA/CA will allow them to cooperate.  One talks while the rest shut up etc.  Separate channels are better as they are not sharing so don’t have to wait for the rest to be quiet.

Using the channels in between is the worst thing you can do as wireless units on slightly different channels partly overlap.  They can “hear” each other but not clearly enough to cooperate and so cause interference.

*Not strictly true today.  Since 802.11g channels 1, 5, 9 and 13 are the separate ones but the use of 1, 6 and 11 is so deeply ingrained they are still the ones to use to avoid adjacent interference.