cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Begadoc
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 12

I need to extend a broadband connection from the vestry in the church to a hall

I need to extend a broadband connection from the vestry in the church to a hall, a distance of around 150M. Would I be better extending the telephone line to a socket in the hall and plugging the modem to that, or plugging the modem into the master socket and running an ethernet cable (via a repeater of some sort as the distance is more than the 100M limit on ethernet).

I realise I will lose speed either way but I can afford someloss as it is a fast connection.

0 Ratings
11 REPLIES 11
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 12

Re: I need to extend a broadband connection from the vestry in the church to a hall

Are you a BT Broadband customer?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Begadoc
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 12

Re: I need to extend a broadband connection from the vestry in the church to a hall

We will be once we decide just how we are going to do this. 

If this information is of help - the cabinet is about 200 M away from the church and we would go for for a 50Mb contract.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 12

@Begadoc wrote:

We will be once we decide just how we are going to do this. 

If this information is of help - the cabinet is about 200 M away from the church and we would go for for a 50Mb contract.

This is a BT Retail forum for BT Retail customers. If this is going to be a BT Business connection, then you need to post on the BT Business forum, when you get a connection.

Once you are a BT customer, and have a working BT Broadband connection, then someone on this forum or the business forum, should be able to offer assistance.

If you specify where you want you master socket to be, when the phone line is installed, then you should be able to find the best location.

0 Ratings
Begadoc
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 12

We are hoping that this would not have to be a business connection as it would only be used for the alarm to dial out on and for broadband.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 12

@Begadoc wrote:

We are hoping that this would not have to be a business connection as it would only be used for the alarm to dial out on and for broadband.

I am not sure how a church would be classed, so I will ask a moderator to clarify, however if you are using it for an alarm, then you would want it repaired very quickly, so you would need a better SLA (Service Level Agreement) that only BT Business can offer.

I would personally use a BT Business line, your alarm company may insist on it. The extra cost would give you peace of mind.

0 Ratings
Begadoc
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 12

Good points re alarm - thanks. We would need to balance cost against the very low risk of a break in and liklyhood of phone line being down at the same time. 

I will be interested in the answer to the classification of a church in respect of type of line we can get - residential or business.

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 12

Hi @Begadoc and @Keith_Beddoe, a Church would need to apply for a Business service.

Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 12

Not sure who you are using for an alarm, but BT Redcare monitor all lines continuously and would detect if a line goes faulty, or has been cut on purpose, which does happen

https://www.redcare.bt.com/

I see you have a reply from a moderator, so at least you know where you stand.

I would work closely with the BT Business team, and they would advise you on the most suitable option.

https://business.bt.com/

They are quite used to this sort of installation.

They have a user forum on

http://business.forums.bt.com/

You can always ak for advice, as there are a couple of BT Business employees who post on there.

0 Ratings
Begadoc
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 12

Thank you both Keith & Neil. Very helpful answers.

0 Ratings