Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ihaveapigeon456
Contributor
Message 21 of 41

Re: I tried to move my router upstairs to get better signal but it didn’t work

Go to solution
@CJT80
Picture 2 (IMG_3084) is a picture of the master socket and it is downstairs. Is that a bad thing?
In picture 1 i think the wires to the extension have been stashed in the master socket but I’m not sure.
0 Ratings
CJT80
Recognised Expert
Message 22 of 41

Go to solution

@Ihaveapigeon456

No that's quite normal. 

Do you have a corded phone at all? Or can you borrow one?  Check that all of the sockets (inc the master) have a dial tone, so far (based on what you have said) only the master should. That would indicated that the other sockets have been disconnected. 

Back to the reason for moving the router, could a Powerline adaptor (that can boost the wifi) be of use perhaps?

Kind Regards
CJT80
Say thanks by clicking the Thumbs Up icon. Have I resolved your issue? Click "Mark As Accepted Solution"
Ihaveapigeon456
Contributor
Message 23 of 41

Go to solution
I was looking at power line adapters but i didn’t know what one to get. Could you recommend one?
0 Ratings
Ihaveapigeon456
Contributor
Message 24 of 41

Go to solution
I will check the dial tone thing now
CJT80
Recognised Expert
Message 25 of 41

Go to solution

There are quite a few,

Something like this from BT would be a good idea. 

Do you have a Maplin nearby?  They are likely to have a sale on and you could pick up a bargain, sadly they are (as you may know) going bust. 

Kind Regards
CJT80
Say thanks by clicking the Thumbs Up icon. Have I resolved your issue? Click "Mark As Accepted Solution"
Ihaveapigeon456
Contributor
Message 26 of 41

Go to solution
I have a maplin near my house and I’ll probably pick that up on Monday or Tuesday because Monday is a bank holiday.
Also I just checked the telephone and every time I plugged it into a socket that was not the master socket it wouldn’t work so I think the extensions have been disconnected.
CJT80
Recognised Expert
Message 27 of 41

Go to solution

@Ihaveapigeon456wrote:
I have a maplin near my house and I’ll probably pick that up on Monday or Tuesday because Monday is a bank holiday.
Also I just checked the telephone and every time I plugged it into a socket that was not the master socket it wouldn’t work so I think the extensions have been disconnected.

Excellent, well that basically confirms the extensions are removed.  Your options therefore are: 

Investigate (carefully) inside the bottom of the master socket, and see if there are any wires that may go off else where to an extension, and try reconnecting them (doing this could affect the speed of the broadband), if you did find a suitable socket to reconnect (and based on this link: https://mega.nz/#F!gmgx1CLC!rGjYLhYJRcyTZ88XQ9KX3A) pic 1 or 3 seem to look like full sized sockets that could be reused, you could set up a "data" extension, and we could help you do that. 

Or: 

You buy a HomePlug and extend the wifi Signal using your home electrical wiring. 

With Maplin be advised, they won't refund you if it doesn't work.  Just a heads up. 

I will send you a Private Message (PM) with some info on them.  Look out for the Envelope symbol which is towards the top right of this forum, click on it.  It will display a Red number once I have sent the message. 

Kind Regards
CJT80
Ihaveapigeon456
Contributor
Message 28 of 41

Go to solution
Ok
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 29 of 41

Go to solution

Try connecting the blue & blue/white pair that are coiled in the master socket to terminals 2&5 in the removable faceplate. Re-connect faceplate and see if a) There is an impact on your broadband speed at the master. b) The hub works in the extension socket. 

If speed is acceptable, leave connected, if not revert to planB of powerline adaptors.

Ihaveapigeon456
Contributor
Message 30 of 41

Go to solution
How am I supposed to connect it
0 Ratings