Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
messiah
Beginner
Message 1 of 14

IP not changing on router reset

Go to solution

any particular reason this might be happening? I reset pretty frequently during the day and am wondering if there is some kind of 'cap' on getting a fresh IP assigned? 

I was assured by the sales rep before signing up that I could reset my router (home hub 5, bt infinity) pretty much as many times as I wanted to per day, which is the single reason I got this extra broadband line in, though it wouldn't be the first time a rep has talked out of their behind in order to get a sale - anyone able to clarify? Have reset the router 6 or 7 times now, varying time gaps up to 80 minutes in between, and keep getting the same ip ><

Thanks in advance 🙂

0 Ratings
13 REPLIES 13
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 14

Re: IP not changing on router reset

Go to solution

Why do you need a fresh public IP address?

Your private (LAN) address would not normally change on a device, unless the home hub is factory reset, or the DHCP lease expires.

If your public IP address does not change very often when you disconnect, you could be sharing a common IP address.

See

http://btsupport.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/44044/c/6433

I am assuming that you are a BT Residential customer, and not a BT Business customer?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 14

Go to solution

if you are resetting your HH5 that many times it will have a detrimental affect on your broadband connnection with noise margin increasing and speed decreasing

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
messiah
Beginner
Message 4 of 14

Go to solution

Thanks for moving this to the correct place, and for the link 🙂

It was changing fine until yesterday, and isn't a shared address, also yes I'm a residential customer. 

Why would it be changing fine upon reset until yesterday, is my main query

0 Ratings
messiah
Beginner
Message 5 of 14

Go to solution

are live chat and telephone the only 2 options to contact BT? No email ticket system?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 14

Go to solution

@messiah wrote:

Thanks for moving this to the correct place, and for the link 🙂

It was changing fine until yesterday, and isn't a shared address, also yes I'm a residential customer. 

Why would it be changing fine upon reset until yesterday, is my main query

You can try disconnecting using the disconnect option on the Internet section of the hub menu. This drops the session while still maintaining synch.

Then click re-connect again, and you should find that your public IP address has changed.

How are you checking your public IP address?

eg   https://www.whatismyip.com/

Restarting the home hub does not guarantee a public IP change.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 14

Go to solution

@messiah wrote:

are live chat and telephone the only 2 options to contact BT? No email ticket system?

E-mail link here.

https://bt.custhelp.com/app/contact_email/c/1885

messiah
Beginner
Message 8 of 14

Go to solution

Hi Keith (thanks btw for your time here)

Yeah tried that and no dice, public address remains the same. On chat now with BT who tell me my public ip should definitely be changing, he's running a line test as I type

http://whatsmyuseragent.com/

for checking my public IP

Been changing fine (aside from the very odd occasion where I've had to turn the router off for 5 minutes to force a change) for 3 months or so, only since yesterday evening it's refused to budge.

0 Ratings
messiah
Beginner
Message 9 of 14

Go to solution

thanks for that email link... where is that on the site so I can navigate to it in future? 

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 14

Go to solution

Why do you need to keep changing your IP address, there is no advantage?

Its quite possible to get the same public IP address, especially if you are routed to the same POP site.

0 Ratings