Did you mean: 
Highlighted
MarkyR74
Contributor
Message 31 of 55

Re: IPV6 And Xbox One S

Go to solution

Ok, also I got back th routers today..

I’ve managed to get the Draytek online, but my Xbox has a moderate NAT, I’ve enabled UPNP, how to I get it back to an open NAT?

0 Ratings
pcfarrar
Aspiring Expert
Message 32 of 55

Go to solution

If you reboot your xbox one does it change to open?

0 Ratings
MarkyR74
Contributor
Message 33 of 55

Go to solution

No, I tried that. People on the net seem to suggest opening ports but then that makes the Draytek UPNP no better then the Smart Hub? I’ll have to play later.

0 Ratings
pcfarrar
Aspiring Expert
Message 34 of 55

Go to solution

If you put the Xbox One as DMZ host does it change to open?

Also if IPv6 is working you don't need NAT as it doesn't apply. NAT is only relevant to IPv4. I don't have an Xbox One so I don't know how it works with IPv6. One thing you might need to change on the Draytek is the option in Firewall Settings > General > Block routing connections initiated from WAN make sure the IPv6 box isn't ticked.

0 Ratings
MarkyR74
Contributor
Message 35 of 55

Go to solution

I tried that and it didn’t help, some games still use IPV4 apparently.
What I’ve done tonight is reconnect the smart hub, turned off extended UPNP security, gave the Xbox One an assigned IP and opened all the Xbox Live ports in port forwarding for IPV4 and, in the IPV6 Pinholes.
I’ll see if it still has IPV6 tomorrow, however I’m still leaning towards keeping the Draytek as IPV6 works fine, it’s just the configuring it for a home use environment with things like iPhones and iPads and Sky Q and the moderate NAT.
I do see an option for port triggering so could give that a go.

I didn’t try the DMZ as I couldn’t see an easy way to assign an IP to the Xbox?

0 Ratings
MarkyR74
Contributor
Message 36 of 55

Go to solution

Nope, the HomeHub is still failing to give my Xbox One an IPV6 adress when it wakes from sleep, the Draytek has no problem.

do you know if I need to set a static IP for the Xbox to use port triggering?

0 Ratings
pcfarrar
Aspiring Expert
Message 37 of 55

Go to solution

In LAN > Bind IP to MAC make sure your xbox has a static IP. You should then be able to put the Xbox One in a DMZ in the NAT > DMZ Host section.

For port forwarding you want to use NAT > Open Ports (you won't need to do this if you put the Xbox One in DMZ host).

0 Ratings
MarkyR74
Contributor
Message 38 of 55

Go to solution

Thanks, I’ll try the port triggering first, rather not use DMZ if I can help it. Thank you for your help, the menu is a bit tricky. But the Draytek is one powerful bit of kit, wireless not quite as good, the Smart Hub gives the Xbox 68% and the Draytek 64% ish, but the pints are faster on the Draytek plus it saves settings fast.

0 Ratings
MarkyR74
Contributor
Message 39 of 55

Go to solution

Ok so an update, I changed the MTU setting to 1492 as it was set to 1442, the Xbox One now gets the same 1480 MTU as with the Smart Hub, I guess that I can leave it set to 1492 though?

Anyway all is now wo king, IPV6 and IPV4, and currently have an open NAT yyaayyyy 🙂 and I only changed the MTU, well and plugged the Draytek back in.

ive also adjusted the antenna angles and the wireless strength is back up to 68% ish.

I’ll update later on as I’ll be popping out, will come back and check from sleep I still get the same as above.

so far though fingers crossed it’s all looking good. 

0 Ratings
MarkyR74
Contributor
Message 40 of 55

Go to solution

Hi guys, I’ve marked this thread as solved by the the first post advising to buy another router! 

It it is a sad but true fact, the Smart Hub seems utterly incapable of working with IPV6, I may be coming back to ask more questions, but it does indeed seem the ridiculously powerful Draytek 2862AC I’ve bought will resolve all my issues.

It is a bit of a pain to setup but for me not overall bad, I worked in IT and broadband tech support, so I can ask about things I’m stuck on and understand the very helpful answers.

I think I’ll have to grab the full manual for a read...

Thank you so much for everybody’s help.

My advice to anyone else with the same problems from my experience is to check the Open Reach compatible router modem list for a replacement device, or you can buy the Draytek modem only box which is on the list and then use that with a decent router only device, or buy a Draytek modem router, or the Friskox one they have approved as mentioning Ned earlier in this thread.

Either way, it will cost around £200 to fix the fault with BTs Smart Hub.....

One modrn day solution if it works may be to get the Draytek ADSL VDSL modem only box and the BT Whole Home system? That could work pretty well I think? But bear in mind, I tried the Draytek modem with my Netgear Orbi system and whilst it worked and I had IPV6, it also at least doubled the ping times as opposed to have one router modem box. Hence why I chose the option I have now.

0 Ratings