Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MarkyR74
Contributor
Message 41 of 55

Re: IPV6 And Xbox One S

Go to solution
Hmmmm well, the Draytek still has intermittent open NAT with my Xbox.

But more annoying is the channel I use for 5GHZ I use for my SmartHub never gave me a single issue, the same channel 48 on the Draytek works but then like this morning nothing connected!

Seriously thinking of sending it back as for £260 it’s a bit of a flaky product.

So if I send it back. Is the idea of the Draytek VDSL modem and the two disk pack of BT Whole Home WiFi a good idea? Anyone report any IPV issues with them?

It’s crazy, the only issue I had with the SmartHub was IPV6, and this is the only thing that I’ve had working with other routers!!
0 Ratings
pcfarrar
Aspiring Expert
Message 42 of 55

Go to solution

Does the Xbox have a static IP? Is the Xbox wired or wireless?

You should use auto channel selection for the 5GHz and 2.4GHz. Also play with the band steering settings if you have it enabled. The Draytek 286x series are rock solid, I manage a whole fleet of them at work and they give me no problems at all.

Have you got the ports forwarded to the Xbox in open ports on the draytek? Most problems on the Xbox are due to having it in the instant on mode. If you put it in energy saving it will map the ports correctly using UPnP when it boots up. 

0 Ratings
MarkyR74
Contributor
Message 43 of 55

Go to solution

The issue is the Draytek not my Xbox, because the BT SmartHub managed to be perfectly rock solid with my wireless settings, open NAT every single time. Channel 48 with zero issues, and a stronger wireless signal!

these Draytek may be good for business but not very good at home.

I played around with the port forwarding but it’s not the easiest thing to do, it seems to have two different places to assign a static IP? And has auto channel selection ever worked? Why would I want band steering when I can lock my devices onto the 5GHZ SSID?

0 Ratings
pcfarrar
Aspiring Expert
Message 44 of 55

Go to solution

There's only one section on a Draytek to assign a static IP.  LAN >> Bind IP to MAC

Forwarding ports on a Draytek is also very easy. NAT >> Open Ports. In the private IP section put the IP address of the Xbox and then below put in the Xbox live ports.

You don't really want to lock devices to 5GHz unless you have the 5GHz devices in very close proximity to the router. If that's the case don't bother with WiFi as Xboxes work much better with a wired connection. 

I had a lot of issues in the past with an Xbox One showing moderate NAT with a Ubiquiti Edgerouter X running UPnP2 / full cone NAT when running IPv6. As soon as I turned it off it was back to open. In the end I just disabled IPv6 and it was always Open NAT after that.

0 Ratings
MarkyR74
Contributor
Message 45 of 55

Go to solution

I have changed the timeout for UDP to see if it helps the intermittent NAT, I don’t think it has anything to do with IPV6, I’ll maybe try the port forwarding if it doesn’t work.

and I have had separate wireless frequencies for years, always fixed devices to the fastest they support with no issues. I get 9mbos up and 50mbps down on the Xbox with a 60 to 68% wireless signal, don’t really need it to be wired. 

0 Ratings
MarkyR74
Contributor
Message 46 of 55

Go to solution

Ok, so an update, the Draytek is going back, the wireless on it is not very food at all, and things like iPlayer on my Fire TV constantly buffers with it.. I set both the channels up with the same SSID and auto channel selection and band steering, and whilst the coverage improved its performance overall dropped even more then with separate channels.

on the flip side I plugged the SmartHub back in, left all wireless settings in default, changed the SSID and password, it gives better speeds, coverage, reliability and ping times! Just no IPv6.

anyway so back to the srawing board I go......

im going to buy the Vigor 130 again, and was wondering if anyone here has used the Google WiFi system? I like the look of it as the units are compact and neat looking plus easy to setup.

0 Ratings
MarkyR74
Contributor
Message 47 of 55

Go to solution
So I’ve ordered the Vigor 130 and Google WiFi and will update how it goes.
0 Ratings
MarkyR74
Contributor
Message 48 of 55

Go to solution
Right, so I’ve been testing my Vigor 130 VDSL model and Google WiFi 2 pucks setup and it’s workinf fine 🙂

Full IPV6 and IPv4 and open NAT, great WiFi coverage, no setup really required, the best settings app I’ve ever used!

One happy person who seems to have, touch wood, solved my issues..

Does anyone know though if I can access the Vigor interface on an iPad? Or a Mac in case I need to check stats etc?
0 Ratings
Liam_
Expert
Message 49 of 55

Go to solution

Unfortunately you will need a direct ethernet connection to the Vigor 130  at 192.168.2.1   As it's just a modem and has no wireless capability that's the only way.

0 Ratings
MarkyR74
Contributor
Message 50 of 55

Go to solution
Hmm really? Well I guess I can plug my laptop into the Google WiFi puck with an Ethernet cable right? Does it work if you plug a cable into your Fritz box?
0 Ratings