cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
graeme2507
Contributor
Message 1 of 17

IPhone Wi-Fi Performance

A recent problem has materialised on my wi-fi network.

Performance with iPhones on Wi-Fi has dropped through the floor. Running BT speed checker shows speed to router is OK.

Performance of iMac and iPad are still very good (c. 6Mbps download - which is about as good as it gets).

The iPad and iPhones are all on same software level - which is very weird!

Have tried restarting BT Smart Hub 6 router and disconnecting/reconnecting iPhones from Wi-Fi. No improvement.

Have also tried factory reset of router - again no improvement.

The iPhones are both located within 6 uninterrupted feet of the router (the iMac is several rooms away).

Anybody have any ideas what the problem might be before I reset the network settings on the iPhones?

Thanks in advance.

0 Ratings
16 REPLIES 16
Dean007
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 17

Re: IPhone Wi-Fi Performance

Hi @graeme2507

What model iPhone and iOS versions are you using?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 17

Make sure you turn off "smart setup" on the Smarthub.

See link how to do that.

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/44328/~/what-is-smart-setup-on-the-bt-hub%3F-how-can-...

Some devices including Apple devices have a problem with the Smarthub dual band having the same SSid (name). You should try splitting them.

See links

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/56419/~/how-do-i-split-my-bt-hubs-ssid-%28wireless-ne...

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/44798/~/i-have-problems-connecting-5ghz-and-dual-band...

0 Ratings
graeme2507
Contributor
Message 4 of 17

Hi #Dean007,

One model is an iPhone 7 and the other an iPhone 6s. Both are running iOS 12.0 (16A366).

Both need to have iOS 12.0.1 installed but the performance is so bad i’m Not going to atttempt it yet.

Cheers
0 Ratings
graeme2507
Contributor
Message 5 of 17

Hi #gg30340,

‘Smart Setup’ is off.

I haven’t had a problem with the dual band feature. I used to split them but with past stability problems, and having to factory reset the hub quite often, I got tired of having to reapply the change.

One thing that might be worth mentioning is that a factory reset doesn’t seem to reset all the settings. For instance, it doesn’t wipe out a custom admin password I set up - meaning I can log in to admin on the hub using 2 different passwords (the original and my updated one). Also it doesn’t reset ‘Smart Setup’ which I thought it would have.

Cheers
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 17

Are you sure you are performing a full factory reset. You need to hold the reset button in for at least 20 seconds. If you don't do that all it does is a "soft" reset.

0 Ratings
graeme2507
Contributor
Message 7 of 17

#gg30340,

I think I’m doing it right. I keep the reset button in for at least 20 - 30 secs until the green light comes on and the reboot starts. Is there another sequence of lights I need to look for?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 17

You would appear to be doing it correctly. I was just checking because it should reset everything including your password, smart set up etc.

0 Ratings
graeme2507
Contributor
Message 9 of 17

#gg30340,

Yes that’s what I thought - and I’m sure that’s what it used to do 6 months ago.

I’ve got another Smart Hub 6 so I may give that a try.

It’s just totally weird that the iPad and the iPhones are behaving so differently despite having the same iOS.

The iPhones have been fine until today - but I can’t think of anything that has changed.

?
0 Ratings
Dean007
Recognised Expert
Message 10 of 17

@graeme2507

To be honest I've not been impressed with iSO12 holding any type of connection. If the hub reset has not helped, you could try turning off wifi calling and see if this makes any difference.. make sure you make a note of any wifi network passwords before doing a network reset.

0 Ratings