Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
graeme2507
Contributor
Message 11 of 17

Re: IPhone Wi-Fi Performance

@Dean007

I've not had any problems using iOS 12 since it was installed a couple of weeks ago.  I've used the phone on a variety of wi-fi networks (here and abroad) and this current problem is the first time it's played up.

I've had lots of problems with the BT Smart Hub 6's stability - it goes down at least twice a day, sometimes a lot more.  I've put this down to the DLM lowering the SNR to a level that's too low fow my ADSL line (I'm over 3km from the exchange).  This has been going on for nearly a year and I've given up trying to get BT to sort the issue out (4 engineer visits, lots of resets, swapping filters, using the test socket etc. etc.).

Anyway, I swapped the offending BT Smart Hub 6 for one that BT replaced back in January and the performance has bounced back up again.  Let's hope it stays that way.

Now, how do I convince BT that the wi-fi problems I was having with 2 iPhones but nothing else is a problem with the hub?

0 Ratings
Dean007
Recognised Expert
Message 12 of 17

Hi @graeme2507

Glad to hear that things seem to have been resolved for you. Connectivity issues have been raised on the Apple developers community, but reports are sketchy some refering it to certain handsets and some to firmware. I am actually having my handset swapped out on Friday to see if this resolves my issues.

If you have exhausted all routes with BT, then make a complaint Make a complaint

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 13 of 17

The smart hub does not cope well on long ADSL lines as its more susceptible to interference which is out of the normal ADSL frequency range, owing to the fact it has a much wider bandwidth.

Its not possible to alter its configuration to select ADSL only, like many other routers.

The home hub 4, or a third party router, is the best option for ADSL.

0 Ratings
graeme2507
Contributor
Message 14 of 17

@Keith_Beddoe

I have a 3rd party Belkin router that I've tried to use in the past but, despite following guidance on setup, it wouldn't work. I used this very successfully when I used to have a BT Business Broadband service (now disconnected) but for some reason I can't get it up and running on my domestic BT Broadband.

Are there any settings that I should make/change so that it works? It's a Belkin N600 Dual Band N+ Modem Router Model: F9J1102v2 (with firmware brought up to date).

Regards
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 15 of 17

If its configured for ADSL, and you can see the DSL synced, then all you should have to do would be to enter the default login details on the PPPoA setup screen, if there is one.

You can use a user name of broadbanduser@btbroadband.com and a password of bt

Dynamic IP and DNS servers instead of static IP. You may be best to factory reset it first.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 16 of 17

Before doing as Keith suggested you should carry out a factory reset on the router which will clear out any settings that you may have had from your previous connection.

EDIT: Just noticed that you have now suggest that Keith!

0 Ratings
graeme2507
Contributor
Message 17 of 17

@Keith_Beddoe, @gg30340

Thanks both. I'm pretty sure this is how it was configured when I tried before:

Connection Type = PPPoA
Encapsulation Method: VCMUX
VPI 0
VCI 38

I'll give it another try once I have a moment - currently downloading new MacOS. Fingers crossed my connection doesn't drop before this finishes - it has once already!

Regards
0 Ratings