cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 16

IPv4 / IPv6

I have a old D-LINK IPv6 wireless modem/router that I would like to use as a repeater to my existing wireless BT HUB. I have seen some posts about IPv6 pinholes but don’t really have much idea how to go about doing this. Can anyone offer any advice. There are plenty of YouTube posts explaining how to do a standard setup but nothing that addresses IPv6 to IPv4. Thanks 

0 Ratings
15 REPLIES 15
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 16

Re: IPv4 / IPv6

If you are using it as a WiFi repeaters why do you need pinholes. Pinholes are the IPv6 equivalent of port forwarding

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 16

As a WiFi repeater, it will just be a glorified Ethernet switch with WiFi, it won't be performing any routing functionality that will be handled by the hub.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 16

Thanks for your response but just to clarify while it’s acting as a repeater will it provide internet access via the BT HUB.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 16

Yes, and all the routing functionality will be provided by the hub assuming you have connected the devices together LAN port to LAN port.

Just give the D Link an IP address outside of the DHCP range of the hub, a gateway address of 192.168.1.254, turn off DHCP on the D Link and connect together.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 16

Ok, forgive my ignorance but I will still need to hard wire them together with an Ethernet cable?. I was thinking that because they are both wireless that this would be how they would connect.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 16

Yes you will have to connect them via Ethernet. They cannot connect to each other via wifi. You can't actually use the device as a true wifi repeater only as a wireless access point. I was just using the term you used loosely rather than muddy the waters by correcting your terminology , I assumed you realised you needed to connect the devices via Ethernet.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 16

Thank you for your patience and help.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 16

Hello,

i have only just got round to setting up my old router as extender and switched off DHCP and changed the IP address but when I check via ipconfig i now see both IP addresses as default gateway. Is this what you would expect or have I done something wrong. Thanks

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 16

The default gateway address on your devices  should be 192.168.1.254 if you have turned off DHCP on the D Link

I assume you have connected the D Link to the hub LAN port to LAN port

0 Ratings