Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ean25
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 17

IPv6: config help needed for third party router

Go to solution

I've used a third party router on my BT Infinity connection ever since experiencing the well documented wireless issues on the HH5.  I recently upgraded from a VDSL wireless router (TPLink Archer VR200) to a wireless mesh system plus OpenReach modem (HG612 + TPLink Deco E4).

On the VR200, IPv6 'just worked', but I can't seem to enable it on the Deco.  Unfortunately the config settings are quite different between the two TPLink devices so I can't just read across and the documentation doesn't specify which settings are needed for BT Infinity. 

I've found a few similar threads on this forum but none discussing the same config options as my device.  The Deco has the following options for IPv6.  

IPv6 - Enable/Disable.  Enabling gives the following options:

- IPv6 Connection Type - choose from Dynamic IP, PPPoE, 6to4 Tunnel, or Bridge.  If PPPoE is selected it asks whether to use the same account as IPv4.

- Get IPv6 Address  - choose from Stateful, Stateless, Non-Address or Auto

- Prefix Delegation - yes/no

- Obtain DNS automatically - yes/no.  If yes, primary and secondary DNS needs to be entered

- Assigned Type - choose from ND Proxy, SLAAC+Stateless DHCP, DHCPv6, or SLAAC+RDNSS

- Firewall Rules - currently blank

Any help on which options to choose would be appreciated!  I am assuming the HG612 has no effect as it's running in IP Bridged mode.  All other aspects of the device and connection seem to be working fine.

0 Ratings
16 REPLIES 16
ean25
Aspiring Contributor
Message 2 of 17

Re: IPv6: config help needed for third party router

Go to solution

TP-Link support was eventually able to solve this for me.  The correct settings are shown as *xxx* below:

IPv6 - *Enable*/Disable.  Enabling gives the following options:

- IPv6 Connection Type - choose from Dynamic IP, *PPPoE*, 6to4 Tunnel, or Bridge.  If PPPoE is selected it asks whether to use the same account as IPv4 - *yes*

- Get IPv6 Address  - choose from Stateful, Stateless, *Non-Address* or Auto

- Prefix Delegation - *yes*/no

- Obtain DNS automatically - yes/*no*.  *Use Google's IPv6 DNS server addresses as follows:  primary - 2001:4860:4860::8888 and secondary - 2001:4860:4860::8844*

- Assigned Type - choose from ND Proxy, SLAAC+Stateless DHCP, DHCPv6, or *SLAAC+RDNSS*

- Firewall Rules - *none required*

BlacKi9
Beginner
Message 3 of 17

Go to solution

Hello, have you find any solution?

0 Ratings
jasonmleds12
Contributor
Message 4 of 17

Go to solution

Did this work for you?

0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 17

Go to solution

As the OP hasn't been on the forum since Feb 2020 you may not get an answer from him, but as he has posted the settings that worked for him, not sure why you are asking.

jasonmleds12
Contributor
Message 6 of 17

Go to solution

Because it's not working for me 🤣

0 Ratings
jasonmleds12
Contributor
Message 7 of 17

Go to solution

After a reboot, it does seem to connect... But the archer has a warning triangle in the menu above the ipv6 connection status, my android phone shows a message that the connection has limited connectivity (but I get a connection), and my windows devices don't have a connection at all... Strange 🤔

0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 17

Go to solution

TP Link devices do seem to be flaky with BT's IPv6

jasonmleds12
Contributor
Message 9 of 17