cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 4

IPv6 not supported by Netgear router. How important is this?

I've just bought and installed the not cheap Netgear Orbi RBK852 mesh.  It has replaced the Smart Hub 2 as my router.

Speeds are great (at least 300Mbs over the wireless backhaul).  However, I've noticed across the forums that Netgear routers don't support BT's implementation of IPv6 (IPv6-PD, apparently).  Also, if I now ping a web address it is resolved as an IPv4 address, rather than an IPv6 address as it was before.

Just how important is this?  

I've raised a ticket with Netgear, for all the good that will do.  And I guess I could restore the Hub as my router and run the Orbis in AP mode, but that seems to be over-complicating my setup, which I suspect can only lead to other "issues".

Thanks

Mark

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4

Re: IPv6 not supported by Netgear router. How important is this?

At the moment, there are very few IPv6 only sites so not that important. This will change over time as more and more sites become IPv6 only.

It is Bt's /56 PD implementation that isn't supported.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 4

I raised this as a ticket with Netgear and received this response:

Please be informed that currently the RBR850 does not yet supports IPv6-PD. However, it supports IPv6. The appropriate department is still in the process of enhancing NETGEAR products to be more convenient for our customers. The IPv6-PD feature will be added soon on the RBR850 device. Rest assured that you will be notified once there will be an update.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 4

I guess you can always use 6 over 4 tunneling if it doesn't support native IPv6 anyway. 

0 Ratings