Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
nickf99
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 5

IPv6 question re connectivity

Go to solution

Hi, help would be much appreciated - a small niggling issue that just wasted my afternoon. My printer suddenly stopped working. On further investigation I noticed that the Wifi link icon was crossed. So I thought ok setup the printer again. I had not changed any password on the router/hub. I entered the setup dialog but it would not connect. Went through several loops of this as you do. Eventually discovered that IPv6 had been enabled on my router/hub. Knowing nothing about this I looked it up and retried the setup procedure with IPv6 ticked. Still no luck. Racked my poor failing brains for some time and eventually thought ok I'll reset the router/hub to factory settings (I haven't had it that long). Magic - all back to IPv4 and everything works again. Was this an update on my router from BT to enable IPv6 that caused the problem I wonder?? They have been very busy with cables in the road here recently. And more to the point will this happen again when BT decide to update my router software next time? 

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Red_Snow
Aspiring Expert
Message 2 of 5

Re: IPv6 question re connectivity

Go to solution

I don't know in regards to your specific case. However it is very interesting as I have a NAS at home running cameras that can be access from a cellular network (BT Mobile 4G). To do this I use port forwarding on the SmartHub2 firewall to allow connectivity. Just recently (a few days back), the login and camera streams were extremely slow to non-existent!! All of a sudden, just got very poor!

I tested with my VF SIM and it was all fine, back to the BT Mobile SIM and it was shocking again. As part of trying to figure it out, I noted that the VF "What's my IP" result came back with an IPv4 address whereas the BT SIM came back with an IPv6 public address.

Back to the SmartHub2, I have enable IPv6 "Pinholes" for the same ports/destination and now, its all working. I don't know how long BT Mobile had has IPv6 public addresses but a bit too much of a coincidence I feel.

Good to get these things sorted now before IPv6 dominates

nickf99
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 5

Go to solution

Thanks Red_Snow for that reply, from reading what you have written I guess I would have to enable ipv6 on the printer for it to work with ipv6?? I had a quick look at the Canon manual but it didn't seem that straightforward to me. There is an easy setup procedure with the printer sw but I tried that and it didn't work. However, I guess as you say I will have to get it sorted before they all drop ipv4??

0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 5

Go to solution

There is absolutely no need to use IPv6 on your printer, now or in the future. Your printer is purely within your LAN and has no need of a public IPv6 address.

nickf99
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 5

Go to solution
Thanks Distinguished Sage, the simplest answers are always the best. This means I can carry on in ignorance 🙂
0 Ratings