Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
planetf1
Expert
Message 1 of 19

IPv6 support

Any news on IPv6 support/trials?

I see a number (currently small) of ISPs are starting trials & indeed live offerings of IPv6 services at last.

0 Ratings
18 REPLIES 18
Message 2 of 19

Re: IPv6 support

| /dev/google

http://www.uk6x.com/

Hope this helps,

Tags (3)
0 Ratings
planetf1
Expert
Message 3 of 19

Thanks for that great link though I do wonder how to get to be in:

"access to IPv6 content for a selected number of BT Retail broadband customers will be available on the day." 

- My question I guess was focussed on when we might see BT retail broadband (I'm on infinity with HH3) supporting IPv6 fully.

I actually remember doing some IPv6 setup/testing many years ago (10?).. and promptly mostly forgotten about it since - at least until seeing Windows home sharing using it in *7.

Tags (1)
0 Ratings
Message 4 of 19

Yup. I agree completely.

For us HH users, it would have been great to be able to be a part of IPv6 day. Some more information about whether the router is/is not/when can be made IPv6 compatible or whether forthcoming routers will be (HH4?) out of the box would be great.

http://community.bt.com/t5/BB-Speed-Connection-Issues/IPv6-connectivity-on-Home-Hub-3-Moderators-ple...

0 Ratings
Moderator-Retired
Message 5 of 19

Hey folks, I've got a bit of info on the IPv6 rollout here:

When might we see BT Retail broadband supporting IPv6 fully?
The BT Total Broadband network & Home Hubs currently work using IPV4 only. BT has plans and is investing to upgrade the network over the next couple of years so that it will also work with IPV6 (known as ‘dual stack’). We expect future models of Home Hub to support IPV6 and we’re exploring updating existing Home Hubs also, alongside our network upgrade plans.

Only when our network and Home Hub both support IPV6 will our customers be able to use IPV6 on the internet. Until then we’ll continue to fully support all our customers on the internet using IPV4 connections.

What is going to happen on 8 June 2011?
The BT Total Broadband network does not currently support IPV6, so BT customers should be unaffected by World IPV6 day. They do not need to take any action and should continue to browse / use the internet as normal.
In some rare cases, PC or home router configuration could lead to some of the websites taking part in World IPV6 day appearing slow or not appearing for BT Total Broadband customers. There are a number of test sites on the internet including http://test-ipv6.com that can be used to predict if anyone using the internet is likely to experience a problem on the day.

Dean
BTCare Community Mod

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side of the post.

If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
planetf1
Expert
Message 6 of 19

thanks - that post is background info but doesn't really answer the question. It clarifies IPv6 is on the table, but no more details. 

Similarly for world IPv6 day the "bt customers not affected" is both true and yet irrelevant - in that sure, most customers won't know/care/be affected since IPv4 is working business as usual, but of course anyone wishing to participate in IPv6 day and access IPv6 sites natively won't be able to.

It's also clear there's some trial going on -- which is cause for celebration - but a one off trial doesn't say much about when the capability is generally available.

IPv6 has been around > 10 years - I guess it's been chicken/egg in terms of when it was made broadly available, with the biggest holdout being a end user domestic routers -- this is finally getting addressed.

So still not really any the wiser when, sitting at home, BT can offer me a true IPv6 connection 

0 Ratings
Moderator-Retired
Message 7 of 19

Hi planetf1

Thanks for the reply. We know you’re keen to get going on IPv6 but as mentioned above it will only be

when our network and Home Hub both support IPV6 that our customers will be able to use IPV6 on the internet. Until then we’ll continue to fully support all our customers on the internet using IPV4 connections. It is something we are actively working on, but as I’m sure you can appreciate this is a lengthy process.

I’m sorry we can’t be more specific at this time, but whenever more detailed info is available, we’ll share it with you.

Thx

Craig

BTCare Community Mod

If we have asked you to email us with your details, please make sure you are logged in to the forum, otherwise you will not be able to see our ‘Contact Us’ link within our profiles.

We are sorry but we are unable to deal with service/account queries via the private message(PM) function so please don't PM your account info, we need to deal with this via our email account :-)”
td-p/30">Ratings star on the left-hand side of the post.

If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
metalshark
Beginner
Message 8 of 19

Thank you for the answer Craig, however anyone interested in testing IPv6 will have probably given away the BT HomeHub (I know I did) and are using high spec kit (same goes with the VDSL modem).

There is a request form for peering with BT's network, but no request form to have IPv6 support on retail broadband using client provided kit. It will be a huge undertaking to replace HomeHubs, so why not offer a fast track for those who can provide valuable insight and diagnostics into the IPv6 rollout?

0 Ratings
eionmac
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 19

I have just been advised by Asian company for whom I contract that they will move to IPv6 and if unable to log onto their IPv6 websites , we may/will be no longer accepted as vendors. Partly security oroientated as "IPv6 readiness shows a modern computer IT compliance and set up in our vendors". This would mean they move away from my company and other UK companies. Loss of trade, loss of jobs. while I am near retirement and can close down my small company and fully retire, others will still be seeking continued work. BT slowness and UK government slowness to get IPv6 working may cost many export orientated jobs.

Regards,
Eionmac
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 19

Welcome to the BT Residential Customers forum

If you are a business user, please could you post on the BT Business forum at http://business.forums.bt.com/

Thanks

0 Ratings