Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
kanthamohan
Aspiring Contributor
Message 11 of 15

Re: IPv6 with third-party routers

SMF22

You are a star.  I have been lazy and had not been checking the messages.  I now have IPV6 once I reconfigured for Prefix Delegation. Come to think of it I must have had IPV6 for more than a year know but for me not trying PD.

Thanks anyway. 

0 Ratings
smf22
Recognised Expert
Message 12 of 15

Glad you have it working. Enjoy 🙂
0 Ratings
philjohn
Aspiring Contributor
Message 13 of 15

Anyone managed to get this working with the TP-Link Archer vr900?

Finally gave up on the BT kit after having a replacement smart hub that still had wireless issues, and a new HomeHub 5b which disconnected from the VDSL connection (on a Huewai cab and have an external ECI OpenReach modem from Infinity 1 install years ago so that one is out).

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 14 of 15

@smf22  Just been thinking about this again. If we are saying that BT insist on DHCPv6PD at all times, it will not be possible to connect a PC NIC at IPv6 directly without a router as presumably a NIC will not require nor be configured to support PD.

0 Ratings
smf22
Recognised Expert
Message 15 of 15

@licquorice wrote:

@smf22  Just been thinking about this again. If we are saying that BT insist on DHCPv6PD at all times, it will not be possible to connect a PC NIC at IPv6 directly without a router as presumably a NIC will not require nor be configured to support PD.

Short answer. Assuming we're talking of a Windows PC I think it depends.

For the longer answer, grab some coffee and make yourself comfortably. So here's my take on this.

For PPP Termination and Aggregation (PTA) Communications Providers (CP) e.g., BT Retail, section 4.4.4 of SIN 472 (Wholesale Broadband Connect) Products says they will allocate:

"A globally routable IPv6 delegated prefix for use on the CPE LAN. The IPv6 addressing for the IPv6 delegated prefixes will be provided by the CP. The CPE will obtain an IPv6 Delegated Prefix from the BRAS by running DHCPv6. The delegated prefixes will be advertised out to the CP."

So the CPE needs to use DHCPv6 to get an address, and DHCPv6 Preifx Delegation (DHCPv6-PD) is the mechanism to do that.

So here's where the 'it depends' answer comes in. Looking around I found an old Microsoft Blog post DHCPv6 Prefix Delegation in Windows Vista that covers this well. Here it says:

"DHCPv6 Prefix Delegation is intended for network elements that behave as a router. The terminology used in RFC 3633 [“IPv6 Prefix Options for DHCPv6“] indicates this: the client requesting an IPv6 prefix is called the “requesting router”, and the server which leases the IPv6 prefix is termed the “delegating router”. Since the host running Windows Vista doesn’t behave as a router by default, the DHCPv6 client doesn’t request an IPv6 prefix by default from the server."

I don't think it wrong that an ISP engineer an IPv6 solution that requires a router between the Internet and the end user LAN. Whilst we remember and gazed in wonder upon a single PC connected to a V.32bis modem, that's not the way things are today.

The MS post goes on to say:

"Windows Vista can be used to route network traffic when specific features are used. DHCPv6 Prefix Delegation support in Vista is hence initiated only when these features are enabled. An example of such features is Internet Connection Sharing (ICS). When ICS is enabled on a network interface, Windows Vista can route traffic between other hosts on the same link and the network to which that interface is attached."

The way I'd interpret that is that if the Windows PC has ICS enabled, then the DHCPv6 Solicit will include option 25 (Identity Association for Prefix Delegation).

I've not tried to get ICS working on a recent MS Windows OS, but it would seem entirely possible it would work.

Regards

0 Ratings