cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 6

Identify a device in the Event log

Go to solution

Afternoon. I have a number of Apple devices connected to my network. Due to Mac randomisation from those devices I cannot identify them easily in the event log. Is there an any other method for identifying an iPhone accessing my network during the night for example? My lad is accessing it when he should be sleeping. I can of course shutdown the WiFi and his mobile data overnight but I’d like to use the log as evidence.

Any tips greatfully received.

Andy

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6

Re: Identify a device in the Event log

Go to solution

@Meggo72 

Welcome to this user forum for BT Residential phone and broadband customers.

Unfortunately there is no way to identify devices that use MAC randomisation.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 6

Go to solution

@Keith_Beddoe 

Thanks Keith. I guess I could turn off the private WiFi address on his phone which in theory should allow me to track his MAC address in the event log? Would that work?

thanks Andy

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 6

Go to solution

He could just turn it on again, as its easy to do.

Its not really practical on any of the BT Home Hubs, to keep a track on connected devices, as the home hubs are just basic BT provided routers.

There is no MAC filtering available, nor is it possible to create a "whitelist" of permitted MAC addresses which would only allow access to the real device MAC address. Separate wireless access points usually have this feature, but require that you keep a list of all the MAC addresses that are allowed.

Message 5 of 6

Go to solution

@Keith_Beddoe 

Ok thanks for the information. Much appreciated. It’ll have to be the good old fashioned approach of handing in all devices at bedtime. Cheers

Message 6 of 6

Go to solution

@Meggo72 

You don't mention what router you are using, but if it is a BT SH2 Mac randomisation can cause the router to stop issuing IP addresses to new requests. This can cause other devices to fail to connect when they try to renew the ip address for example.  Turning off private addressing id often the only solution, so might be worthwhile turning it off on  all devices n your network.

0 Ratings