cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 6

If i connect a BT Disc to another BT Disc via Ethernet cable will this provide WIFI

Hi All,

I have full fibre broadband at home. My router is located in the living room & i have a BT Disc the other side of my house to extend the WIFI which works (not connected by Ethernet). I want to be able to out WIFI in my outhouse at the bottom of the garden. I plan on connecting a Disc from my kitchen (not connected via Ethernet to the router) to a disc in the out building via an underground ethernet cable.

Will the Disc connected by Ethernet cable in the out building work as a WIFI hub? 

Crude Picture/diagram of what i mean. image001.png

Thank you in advance. 

Tags (1)
0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6

Re: If i connect a BT Disc to another BT Disc via Ethernet cable will this provide WIFI

Presumably yo have mains power in the outbuilding, in which case have you considered Powerline adapters if the two buildings have a common mains supply? Powerline adapters can provide WiFi in the outbuilding if you obtain the right model. Might save putting an ethernet cable and conduit in the ground.

Message 3 of 6

Re: If i connect a BT Disc to another BT Disc via Ethernet cable will this provide WIFI

Thank you Paul. Unfortunately the router is connected to a different circuit from the power in going to the outhouse, so can't use TP-Links etc. Which is highly annoying, hence me going down the route of running an ethernet cable. 

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 6

I had a set-up like that for a period, but it was incredibly unreliable and simply not up to the standard that I needed for working at home. I was left with no option but to make alternative arrangements. 

Powerline adaptors did not work for me as the outbuilding - garden office - was on a different "ring" for electricity cabling purposes. 

It is also worth bearing in mind that the T&Cs for BT Broadband say that they only support systems used in your dwelling itself and not in outbuildings.   

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 6

thank you for this. I managed to get wifi to the outbuilding by 'etherneting' two BT Discs. Haven't checked for reliability yet, however as a back up i've got an ethernet port extender. 

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 6

I used to have Devolo Powerline wifi adapters in various rooms around my house, they were all on different circuits and they worked without a problem.

0 Ratings