cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
stevebrass
Expert
Message 1 of 4

Impact of Infinity

They are just finishing off upgrading my local exchange to infinity which I understand will be offered from next March.

Since we currently get on average 4.5Mb download and .7 Mb upload and are not heavy internet users we probably won't rush to upgrade to infinity.

But my question is this. Post infinity upgrade at the exchange and I presume the connection of fibre optic to the green box in my street, does all traffic go down fibre optic from the exchange to the cabinet or is the old copper wire retained?  

If all traffic does go down f/o does this have an implication for improved adsl speeds for luddites like me who do not upgrade to infinity as there might be less signal problems? And if the old copper is kept for us luddites, might again this mean an improvement if people move to Infinity and f/o and leave the old copper to us?

Just curious (to know, that is).

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 4

Re: Impact of Infinity

Infinity goes by fibre to the cabinet then by copper from the cabinet to the home.

I don't know if ADSL speeds will increase but I am still on ADSL and I have noticed that since the uptake of Infinity by just about everybody but me, I don't suffer from any drop in speed at the peak times.

I expect this is because there is less congestion on the old steam driven ADSL. Like you this more than serves my use of the Internet. I can stream movies, my son can play games and my wife can watch iplayer all at the same time and there are no problems or stuttering.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 4

no the two services remain totally independent adsl via the existing copper network the infinity users via the new fibre network only infinity users are connected to the new cabinet
0 Ratings
Jonkarra
Expert
Message 4 of 4

Your service might be less contended but seriously when is the last time anyone had ADSL or Infinity slow down due to contention at the exchange?

0 Ratings