cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 6

Improving wifi range - Tp-Link mesh set up

Would really appreciate some help trying to set up a better home WiFi set up.  I have a 3 storey townhouse plus built in garage, wi-fi doesn't reach the garage or top floor, have used pipeline extenders for a couple of years but never been 100% happy, doesn't seem to work well with my sonos on top floor and also want the plug socket back in the garage.

The phone socket is on ground floor and then the house actually has a bank of network sockets which can connect ethernet cable to. In hindsight maybe the best idea would have been to use these for access points (?).

However a month ago I bought tp-link x20 mesh system...but then discovered it was incompatible with smart hub as smart hub can't be put into bridge mode. I have an old zyxel modem however connecting it I don't seem to be able to get any Internet connection.

So I then bought a Tp-Link Archer for ax20 to then discover it's only a router not modem router. Heaven help me!!! So I think I need to buy a modem as well?!?!

Can anyone advise on basic modem model that would work with bt, is there a modem router I should have got instead of the AX20?

Or should I have done something cleverer with the ethernet sockets to begin with?

Any advice appreciated

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6

Re: Improving wifi range - Tp-Link mesh set up

I have the TP-Link Deco M5 system - it needs a modem not a router.  I bought a cheap ex-BT modem (£10) on an auction site and it works brilliantly on a PPOE connection.   We have enjoyed strong wi-fi all over a large stone-built house and right across the garden

I'm not sure what I will do when/if I have to have a SmartHub with DV - but that looks to be some years off.  You can connect the Decos  to the Hubs, at risk of something called double-natting.  I didn't as my HP printer caused a fuss.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 6

You could place the the other router into the DMZ of the homehub to avoid a double NAT issue. 

As for covering all areas it’s important to note that the client must also talk back and what happens  when you are on the limits of the clients talking to the router is errors occur in transmission and that slows down throughput and the client or clients talking back have to resend info as the router does not send the confirmation. 
The longer the client or clients try to communicate the slower the performance. 

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 6

@Stu_H wrote:

You could place the the other router into the DMZ of the homehub to avoid a double NAT issue. 

But you will still be double natting, even if you put the other router in the Hub's DMZ. It will just avoid double port forwarding, not double natting.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 6

@licquorice @Stu_H @gspearson  Thanks for your responses, I tried it again with the Smart Hub and it worked! Even though it didn't before.

It didn't work with my Sonos system in router mode but switched to access point mode and seems to be working well. I suspect though I still have this double natting issue? (I'm sorry I'll be honest I didn't understand exactly what that means!)

I guess I'll use for a bit like this and see how well it works and get simple modem at some point if any issues.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 6

You won't be double natting if the Sonos is in access point mode.

Double natting is only really a problem for gamers in any case.

0 Ratings