Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
milleniumaire
Contributor
Message 25 of 106

Incoming Messages Being Blocked on Infinity - Affects VPN and Games Consoles

Go to solution

The purpose of this topic is to centralise the growing number of posts that appear to relate to the same issue.  Rather than posting in a number of places, information/feedback specific to this issue should be posted against this topic in the hope this will galvernise BT into investigating the issue seriously.

Overnight on Tuesday 11th August 2015 "something" changed "somewhere" and this is affecting a number of users on the BT Infinity package.  In my case, I was using VPN successfully at 01:00am on Wednesday morning, but at 05:00am my VPN client would no longer connect.  "Something" has changed "somewhere" and the change DID NOT occur on my home network, so the change has either affected the BT home hub (seems unlikely based on tests performed) or on the wider BT network (all evidence points to this).

I appreciate there are LOTS of issues with VPN and Gaming affecting users of BT Infinity Broadband, but PLEASE, only add to this post if YOUR issue started on or around Tuesday 11th August 2015 as these issues are likely to have the same cause.

So far, I have come across the following posts that identify a related issue that started at the same time:

Why has BT Home Hub 5 Started Blocking Inbound UDP Packages

VPN Issues BT Infinity 1

Error message HH5 on BTinfinity on my PS4

Regarding my experience, I can see from the Event Log on the BT Home Hub 5 that each time I try to make a VPN connection to my employer, there are inbound UDP packages that are being blocked. These blocks were NOT occurring prior to the morning of Wednesday 12th August.

I suggest that anyone having similar issues log the following details against this Topic:

Geographical Area

Router/Modem Make and Model

Router/Modem Firmware Version and Last Updated Date

Sample of block event from Router/Modem Log

Here's my info:

Geographical Area:   Collingham, Wetherby, West Yorkshire.  LS22

Router/Modem Make and Model:  bT Home Hub 5A

Router/Modem Firmware Version and Last Updated Date: Software version 4.7.5.1.83.8.204.1.11 (Type A) Last updated 25/07/15

Sample of block event from Router/Modem Log: 

10:48:54, 15 Aug.IN: BLOCK [5] Fragmented packet (UDP "Employers IP Address" -​> "My BT IP Address" fragment_offset=0)

Note: I have replaced the actual IP addresses with text, but clearly these relate to data being sent from my Employer to my BT HH5 as part of the attempt to connect via VPN.  Because of the block, my VPN software doesn't believe a successful connection has been made and so it fails.

105 REPLIES 105
kellyburns
Beginner
Message 1 of 106

Re: Home Hub 5 VPN Issues Following Firmware Updates

Go to solution

I am having the same problem, so if there is a fix from BT why don't they push it out to everyone, I don't see why we should go out and buy another HUB/Router. Smiley Mad

0 Ratings
suemurphy2009
Aspiring Contributor
Message 2 of 106

VPN Issues BT Infinity 1

Go to solution

I work from home, and went to bed Tuesday night after my shift with a fully functional home office environment. Imagine my frustration when I try to log in on Wednesday and I can connect to the internet no problem, but am unable to access my work VPN. It appears BT is upgrading/tinkering/general malarkeying around with their servers and several of my colleagues are now unable to work - the common denominator? BT Infinity Fibre 1 - no other isp affected and we're dotted around all over the UK. Tech support......and I use that term very loosely, were unable to at first even understand what I was saying and wanted to run through all the broadband connections, which I kept assuring them were fine. Eventually all they could say was they had fixed my broadband connection (wasn't broken) and that I needed to speak to my IT (which I had done in the first instance). But......I could purchase tech support at £10 a month but they wouldn't be able to help me either. I've gone through all the self care options I can think of so far, some of the forums have mentioned that firmware upgrades can affect VPN's but BT can't tell me if one took place Tues night.

Does anyone have any suggestions as currently I'm unable to work and don't get paid as it's a BT issue rather than a work related issue (colleagues with other isps are working fine and dandy)

"I'm playing all the right notes—but not necessarily in the right order."
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 106

Re: VPN Issues BT Infinity 1

Go to solution

Hi Suemurpghy2009,

I am sorry to hear that you are having problems using your VPN. I’ll be able to get the hub team to investigate.

In order to help with the investigation, please could you send me in the following details?

The model of your BT Home Hub and version (type A or B)

Hub Serial Number-

Employer-

VPN Client-

Telephone number-

You can send me in those details using the “Contact The Mods” link found in my profile.

Thanks

PaddyB

suemurphy2009
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 106

Go to solution

Thanks, have sent the details not sure if it's been something as simple as a firmware upgrade that's caused the problem or it's connected with server issue. Just hope it's fixable.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 106

Go to solution

In the short term, is it possible to borrow a third party router to try and either eliminate or confirm it is the Hub causing the problem?

Highlighted
suemurphy2009
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 106

Go to solution

I was considering getting a router but wasn't to confident with my abilities to set it up correctly. I did have a spare HH5 and tried that but didn't help. Might pick one up later though.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 106

Go to solution

@suemurphy2009 wrote:

I was considering getting a router but wasn't to confident with my abilities to set it up correctly. I did have a spare HH5 and tried that but didn't help. Might pick one up later though.

The TP-LINK TD-W9980 is a popular choice, as a number of people on these forums use it. I beleive its quite simple to setup.

You may find that you will not want to go back to the HH5.

I think @licquorice can help with this.

Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 106

Go to solution

Yes, I have the TD -W9980, it is virtually plug and play with the setup wizard.

suemurphy2009
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 106

Go to solution

Off to PC world I go lol

0 Ratings