Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 106

Re: VPN Issues BT Infinity 1

Go to solution

If you decide on a different box when you get there, make sure it has a VDSL modem. Sorry if that is obvious.

0 Ratings
suemurphy2009
Aspiring Contributor
Message 11 of 106

Go to solution
Now I can't connect at all 😞
"I'm playing all the right notes—but not necessarily in the right order."
0 Ratings
milleniumaire
Contributor
Message 12 of 106

Go to solution

Hi Sue,

I have EXACTLY the same problem.  VPN was working fine on Wednesday morning at 1:00am before I went to bed, but when I tried again at 6:00 am I couldn't get a connection using my Cisco VPN software, and haven't been able to since.

I also phone BT support and they couldn't help me, but also recommended I signed up with BT Tech Experts.  My company techies have told me it wasn't an issue at their end and put the blame squarely on BT.

Stupidly, I signed up to BT Tech Experts (at a cost of £10 per month, minimum term 3 months).  I really hoped they could help me, but so far they haven't.  Admittedly, they don't have strong Indian accents and they seem to understand the basics of networking, both of which are a bonus, compaired to BT's standard support, but so far, after 2 telephone calls, it appears to have been a waste of money.

I also have tried installing another BT HH5 that I borrowed, but it made no difference.  VPN also works at other peoples homes, some of which are using HH5, so the issue is clearly with my home network/account.

It seems to be quite a coincidence that it has happened to two of us (and possibly others that you know) at EXACTLY the same time.

I also have a topic on the BT community forum here.

I've also been asked by Paddy, one of the moderators, to supply my details and have done so.

Paddy, or any other moderator monitoring this, or my topic, I suspect you are now seeing a number of these new "VPN" issues i.e. incoming UDP packages being blocked by BT.  Are you prepared to acknowledge this is a bigger issue than a single person's HH5?  Given that it has happened at the same time to a few people, suggests "something" has happened on the network or to our hubs.

What do we need to do to get to the bottom of this issue and get it resolved?

milleniumaire
Contributor
Message 13 of 106

Go to solution

.....just to add, that I have managed to get my VPN working again by changing the connection configuration on the VPN client to use TCP, rather than UDP.  However, I need to resolve the UDP issue as this is the preferred connection method for the company I work for.

I came across your post as I'm also considering replacing my HH5 with something better, however, nobody at BT has been able to tell me if this is a HH5 issue or a BT network issue.  There's no point purchasing a new VDSL modem if the issue still exists.

I already have a couple of hi-end Netgear wireless routers configured to give me a good dual band wifi network throughout my home, so I'm really only looking for a modem.  I don't actually use wifi on the HH5 or DHCP; it is simply configured as a modem as my routers have far more functionality.

I've been looking at the Draytek V130 modem.

Regarding your issue, do you know when the firmware was last updated on your HH5?  My was last updated on 27/7/15, so this doesn't really explain what happened on the night of Tuesday 11th.

Have you had a look at the Event Log on the HH5?  Does it show inbound traffic (UDP) being blocked when you try to establish a VPN connection?

0 Ratings
suemurphy2009
Aspiring Contributor
Message 14 of 106

Go to solution
Looks like the issue still exists as I now have the TP Link up and running but still no VPN.
"I'm playing all the right notes—but not necessarily in the right order."
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 15 of 106

Go to solution

@suemurphy2009 wrote:
Looks like the issue still exists as I now have the TP Link up and running but still no VPN.

Are you sure its not a issue at the other end of the VPN, or something that has changed on your computer, as you have proved its not the home hub, which is the only part of the BT network which could have been affecting your connection.

Perhaps your employer`s IT people have some suggestions?

0 Ratings
milleniumaire
Contributor
Message 16 of 106

Go to solution

Keith,  

My IT people have catagorically confirmed this is NOT an issue at their end.  What are the chances of three different companies all changing their servers at the same time, resulting in the same issue for ONLY their employees using BT fibre?  Out of the many people that use VPN at my company I am the only one reporting an issue.

NO, this is NOT an issue with the company servers; hardware or software configuration.  As I've explained in my post and as others have explained, we can use our VPN from other home networks.  This rules out any issues with software/config on the PC's involved.

0 Ratings
sarahemmm
Aspiring Contributor
Message 17 of 106

Go to solution

I'll just stick my nose into this conversation.. I just got Infinity yesterday morning, and had no problem getting it running (apart from not connecting my powerline adapters properly, but we won't go into that 😉 and then tried to connect to my office VPN. That appeared to work fine, but kept dropping out and there was a message that I needed to log into my mybt account, which I thought was pretty weird. Anyway, I did so, and it seemed to work fine until I closed the browser, when it started dropping out again. Logged into mybt again, problem fixed. Then my connection started doing its training thing, dropping out and restarting, so I left it until later in the evening. Connected to the VPN again, this time no issues and no need to log in to mybt. Left it running overnight and it is still fine this morning...

It does look as if there must be intermittent problems with the VPN at BT's end, since my office end has not changed (Cisco AnyConnect, locked down tight) and my PC has not changed.

But I will be looking at replacing the Hub 5 - I don't like the lack of information/control. Thanks for the tip on the TP-Link.

Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 18 of 106

Go to solution

@suemurphy2009 As a long shot, try changing the MTU size to, say, 1468 and see if that helps. Network > WAN settings >edit > Advance > MTU bytes

Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 19 of 106

Go to solution

I am not sure I can offer any other suggestions apart from to hope that the mod team can pass the info onto BT.

I think all the usual causes of VPN failure have been eliminated, namely:-

BT Web address help being active

IP sharing (CG-NAT) being implemented on your connection.

BT Network Based Parental controls installed by default, so have to be activated then uninstalled.

All that is left is some BT core issue, either on the Openreach section, the BT ISP link, or on the BT Wholesale core network.

Its really a strange problem which is made more difficult as only UDP is affected, whose protocol has no guarantee of delivery, unlike TCP.