cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 31 of 106

Re: Incoming Messages Being Blocked on Infinity - Affects VPN and Games Consoles

Go to solution

Its not a blocking issue, its a fragmentation issue. Somewhere in the network a router must have been configured for a low MTU value, this would result in fragmentation and possible lost data, as UDP is not acknowledged at the receiving end.

It could be that someone has physically swapper a router out with a spare, and not checked the configuration.

It sounds like it only affecting certain areas.

DF11
Contributor
Message 32 of 106

Re: Incoming Messages Being Blocked on Infinity - Affects VPN and Games Consoles

Go to solution

Yeah I have had this issue for a few days now, the network test on the PS4 suddenly saying the router (HH5A with latest firmware) 'doesnt support IP defragmentation', this limits the network features and is a bit of a pain. I then tested 4gEE connection, tethering it to the PS4 and the network test completes without any issue. So the console is not the issue.

I haven't yet been able to test out another router on the same BT infinity connection, but I have tested two HH5A's and they both have the same issue. It appears to be an issue on BT's end of the network, and even if it was specific to certain HH5A, its hardly a solution that we all buy new routers when the ones we were using and paid for worked fine. Something appears to have been changed/tweaked/gone wrong on their end.

I have spoken to BT about it but you know how that goes on an issue like this. I'm sure if the relevant people are made aware of this it will be sorted out fairly quickly.

MarkG33
Aspiring Expert
Message 33 of 106

Go to solution

Hopefully us in these affected areas can get this sorted out. I'm not technical at all but I understand somewhat what you stated Keith. Thanks for at least a bit more insight. Quite refreshing to see that as a possibility.
Mark.

*This is my signature...it's a bit boring*
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 34 of 106

Go to solution

Assuming that the fragmentation is happening in both directions, then if you know the destination IP address, and it responds to ping requests, then you could try pinging it with different MTU values, to determine the maximum MTU before fragmentation.

See http://www.tp-link.us/FAQ-190.html

There is even one that works the other way, but I don`t think the home hub reponds to pings, but other routers may.

http://www.letmecheck.it/mtu-test.php

0 Ratings
milleniumaire
Contributor
Message 35 of 106

Go to solution

"Its not a blocking issue, its a fragmentation issue"

That would explain why the HH5 is reporting them.  I confess I coudn't understand how the HH5 could report data that was being blocked up-stream, but obviously if the data is reaching the HH5, but isn't valid, then it would get reported.  Clearly, changing the HH5 for another HH5 or 3rd party modem will NOT fix this issue, as has been found, unless this is a restrication of the HH5 and "better" modems could handle fragmented packages.  I wonder why the BT Tech Experts seem to think sending out a new HH5 would help!

"It could be that someone has physically swapper a router out with a spare, and not checked the configuration.

It sounds like it only affecting certain areas"

The BT Tech Experts suggested that these kinds of issues are very difficult to resolve because network traffic can travel through many routers, any one of which could cause problems.  They gave the impression (and I may have misunderstood) that some of these routers are not under the control of BT, which means BT (Openreach) wouldn't necessarily be able to fix the problem.

If this is the case, it would suggest the "internet" backbone is very flakey and makes me wonder how it could ever work if John Brown down the road could change his router and affect lots of people using BT Infinity!  I confess, I'm struggling with this concept.

0 Ratings
milleniumaire
Contributor
Message 36 of 106

Go to solution

I've tried pinging my company servers, but they are locked down, so ping simply times out.  Not surprising really.  I've also tried running tracert but this seems to give lots of time outs, so doesn't really help.

I'm trying to get my company network guys involved in doing some end-to-end tracing, possibly opening up some ports on the VPN servers to facilitate this, but they aren't being very helpful.  Their opinion is this is a BT issue and they aren't going to waste their time trying to sort it out.  They seem to have a VERY low opinion of BT and their ability to resolve this issue and have simply suggested I switch to another provider.  This impression comes from having to deal with lots of company users over the years having issues using BT broadband and VPN.

I really hope BT can prove them wrong and get their finger out on this one, but I'm not holding my breath.

0 Ratings
walkerx
Recognised Expert
Message 37 of 106

Go to solution

It's also affecting 3G signal booster boxes, luckily because of this EE have sent me out a new unit. EE told me today that there is a definite issue with BT as they have had numerous calls and unsure of when will be resolved.

And it affects all brands of routers not just BT HomeHubs

0 Ratings
milleniumaire
Contributor
Message 38 of 106

Go to solution

Thanks walkerx, that's good to know.  If a large company like EE can put pressure on BT to sort this out (assuming it is the same issue) then maybe BT will sit up and notice.

It would be interesting to know if your new EE 3G signal booster box will work.  Not sure how it could, unless it is a newer version that can cope with package fragmentation (I'm really getting into the lingo now Smiley Wink).

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 39 of 106

Go to solution

@Keith_Beddoe wrote:

There is even one that works the other way, but I don`t think the home hub reponds to pings, but other routers may.

http://www.letmecheck.it/mtu-test.php

Using this link my maximum MTU size is 1492, so don't appear to be suffering from fragmentation.

@suemurphy2009 Can you try it to see if you get the same result.

0 Ratings
suemurphy2009
Aspiring Contributor
Message 40 of 106

Go to solution
Mine came in at 1500 on the test site
"I'm playing all the right notes—but not necessarily in the right order."
0 Ratings