cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
SuperSajuuk
Aspiring Expert
Message 41 of 106

Re: Incoming Messages Being Blocked on Infinity - Affects VPN and Games Consoles

Go to solution

Although I'm not being affected (as I'm on ADSL and not Infinity), I can confirm 1500 MTU as well (with 1472 being the largest unfragmented packet possible for my connection); clearly this shows the problem is with the infrastructure and has nothing to do with devices (although I've noticed pages taking a little longer than normal to load for no apparent reason). I tested the MTU by pinging youtube.com btw.

0 Ratings
milleniumaire
Contributor
Message 42 of 106

Re: Incoming Messages Being Blocked on Infinity - Affects VPN and Games Consoles

Go to solution

The letmecheck website states the following when I try to check mine:

We are unable to test this host or IP. Most likely ICMP traffic to that host or IP is not allowed or the host or IP is invalid.

Tried it a few times and checked on the HH5 that the broadband IP address was correct, which it was.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 43 of 106

Go to solution

I guess if it's only UDP that is being fragmented, this test isn't going to prove much as presumably it is using ICMP.

MarkG33
Aspiring Expert
Message 44 of 106

Go to solution

Would it be fine with you guys if I let you do all this mtu testing? As it's going over my slow head lol. 😁

letmecheck says my maximum is 1492

The trace thing says the hops there were not fragmented. Not sure what to make of it all to be honest. 

*This is my signature...it's a bit boring*
walkerx
Recognised Expert
Message 45 of 106

Go to solution
No my new box is not working, that is how found it was BT issue when phoned about it today. The boxes just constantly flash green. I use a smoothwall setup as router which confirms not homehub issue.
0 Ratings
spluff
Expert
Message 46 of 106

Go to solution

I have had enough of this - my connection was screwed up earlier this year because of changes done to the network and i had to wait ages for a fixed firmware....  and now this!!!

I am definitely leaving when my contract is up in December and I suggest everyone else do the same...

To most users who have no clue what BT is doing apart from web browsing everything seems okay

MiracleMaud
Contributor
Message 47 of 106

Go to solution

Is anyone else having issues internet streaming a Slingbox at the moment?

I can't pin it down to a specific date, like the OP is able to, but it's certainly started after last weekend, when he last satisfied his sports addiction.  

0 Ratings
walkerx
Recognised Expert
Message 48 of 106

Go to solution

@milleniumaire wrote:

The letmecheck website states the following when I try to check mine:

We are unable to test this host or IP. Most likely ICMP traffic to that host or IP is not allowed or the host or IP is invalid.

Tried it a few times and checked on the HH5 that the broadband IP address was correct, which it was.

Check that HH5 is not blocking ICMP, if it is temporarily disable the blocking and run test again.

If can't confirm on HH5 then try www.grc.com and perform port scan and this will tell you whether or not you are responding to ping requests.

when you get a succesful test, you will see something like this

Sending 32 bytes to x.xx.xx.xxx <- not fragmented
Sending 750 bytes to x.xx.xx.xxx <- not fragmented
Sending 1125 bytes to x.xx.xx.xxx <- not fragmented
Sending 1313 bytes to x.xx.xx.xxx <- not fragmented
Sending 1407 bytes to x.xx.xx.xxx <- not fragmented
Sending 1454 bytes to x.xx.xx.xxx <- not fragmented
Sending 1478 bytes to x.xx.xx.xxx <- FRAGMENTED!
Sending 1466 bytes to x.xx.xx.xxx <- FRAGMENTED!
Sending 1460 bytes to x.xx.xx.xxx <- not fragmented
Sending 1463 bytes to x.xx.xx.xxx <- not fragmented
Sending 1465 bytes to x.xx.xx.xxx <- FRAGMENTED!
Sending 1464 bytes to x.xx.xx.xxx <- not fragmented
Sending 1465 bytes to x.xx.xx.xxx <- FRAGMENTED!
Sending 1464 bytes to x.xx.xx.xxx <- not fragmented

From the tests we did, we can assume that 1464 bytes is the largest unfragmented packet
size. The MTU size would be 1492, made up from 1464 payload and 28 ICMP/IP Headers
and payload information.
The maximum MTU size for x.xx.xx.xxx is: 1492

NB: The Internet Protocol requires that hosts must be able to process IP datagrams of at least
576 bytes (for IPv4) or 1280 bytes (for IPv6)

You can also perform the test yourself from your own pc

open a command prompt a enter the following

ping bbc.co.uk -f -l 1464

change the last number until you start getting fragmentation reports

ie: ping bbc.co.uk -f -l 1492

Pinging bbc.co.uk [212.58.244.18] with 1492 bytes of data&colon;
Request timed out.
Packet needs to be fragmented but DF set.

Once you know what is the maxium you can ping without fragmentation add 28 bytes which will give you the MTU settings

0 Ratings
DF11
Contributor
Message 49 of 106

Go to solution

The lowest value i can ping without fragmentation is 1460, so with the added 28 bytes then my MTU value should be 1488.

I have entered this and several other test MTU values into the PS4 but it doesn't change anything. I still get the error messeage that says the router might not support IP packet defragmentation. I have been playing for smoothly for years without having to change this setting. The automatic value should work just fine.

MY ps4 already has the required ports forwarded, i tried factory reset of hub, tested without any settings applied - same error occurs. I then open all the required ports and set it in a static IP again (this is what i had before) - same error occurs.

When i test it with my 4gEE connection, tethering it to the PS4, the network test completes fine - no error.

Considering that all of the people having this sudden issue haven't changed any settings and with all of the test conducted in the past few days, ALL of the evidence points towards something going wrong/being changed/tweaked/altered on BT's end of the network.

0 Ratings
walkerx
Recognised Expert
Message 50 of 106

Go to solution

it should be the highest value you can ping without fragmentation not the lowest

it seems odd that you are getting fragmentation above 1460 as you should be fine on 1464, if not then you may have something misconfigured on your system.

0 Ratings