cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Message 1 of 4

Increased Coverage of Wifi/Home Network

Hey,

So I'm looking to increase my BT Infinity internet coverage into a room above my garage which is seperate to the main house and currently has no coverage. I've tried using a wireless signal booster but the walls seem to be too thick to allow acceptable enough coverage. I have also tried the internet boosters which are plugged into the mains, however it seems my electical circuit for the garage does not fully overlap with the main house circuit, or at least not enough to allow the boosters to locate each other. 

I have noticed that there are phoneline/broadband wall sockets in the garage, would it be possible to plug another router into these connection points? Or is there another solution that anyone could recommend?

Thanks, Frank 

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 2 of 4

Re: Increased Coverage of Wifi/Home Network

You cant plug a second modem into a phone socket and get a second broadband connection. The modem uses frequencies and phase shifts to pass the data along the pair of wires that were originally designed to carry speach signals and if you try to connect two modems, they would both be sending the same signals up the line and conflicting with each other.

Can you run any cable between the two rooms at all ?, you could then run a Cat5 or 6 cable from your router to a separate access point.

If its totally impossible to run cables, you could try a mesh wifi system which might be able, by using multiple access points, to bounce the signal around the thick wall.

Companies like Mikrotik do radio links using two small devices to setup a radio link between two points rather than run a cable which is usefull if its a large amount of open ground between the house and the garage. 

https://mikrotik.com/product/RBSXT5nDr2 

Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 4

If they are just phone extension sockets you can't just plug another router in to them. You don't need another router in any case, you just need a wireless access point (WAP) . If there is a Cat5 Ethernet cable between the 2 locations, you just connect one end to an Ethernet port on your hub and the other to the WAP. Something like a TP-LINK TL-WA901ND 450 Mbps Wireless N Access Point would be suitable.

Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 4

0 Ratings