Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
EggoH1992
Beginner
Message 1 of 7

Incredibly slow speeds - paying for 80mb

Hello everyone,

This is my first post on here and sadly it is because I am extremely unhappy and dissapointed in the service I am getting.  I'm paying for 80mb of internet, which is great when connected via cable (I have no problem with this), however, the wireless speed given out from the router is TERRIBLE.  Fastest speed I have got yet through Wireless was about 40mb while doing tests and it hasn't got near there yet!

I've just done a speed test, http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/3577156641.  This is a very bad speed and I really want help immediatly, I've called up twice now to BT, both times they changed my wireless channel and have done nothing else.  These changes to the wireless channel has improved NOTHING.  The download speed fluctuates at all times.

I also can't connect a cable from the kitchen (where the router is), to the living room (where all my devices are) as I do not want cables trailing about my hallway.  There is a place to plug in a router in my living room, but it has not worked since I moved in.

Someone please help me, I'm completly frustrated..

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
MrDJ
Aspiring Expert
Message 2 of 7

Re: Incredibly slow speeds - paying for 80mb

hi

can you run these testsand post the screen shots on here. run with wired then wifi.

https://www.btwholesale.com/includes/adsl/main.html

http://speedtest.btwholesale.com/ after the first test click further diagnostics. enter phone number in top box, click ok.

wifi is not gauranteed and will go up and down.

i had same issue. engineer wouldnt run cable for me so i ended up on wifi. hub downstairs and me up.

average 52mbps dropped to the lowest 12mbps and lots of different daily readings in between.

even though when it was hig it still seemed slower than my previous 6mbps option 3.

after complaint another engineer came out and agreed i needed cable from upstairs extention. ran it around the room and put a sub master socket below table and ive had a continuous 52mbps ever since.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 7

wireless is more unreliable than a wired connection also BT will only accept speedtests carried out using a wired connection like all ISP's none guarantee wireless coverage or speed as there are to many possible interference sources

Have you checked your devices wireless adaptors drivers are all up to date using the makers website
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 7

If you are getting what you are paying for when connected by Ethernet that means BT have done what they said they would and that is supply an Internet connection.

Your problem is the wireless speeds not your connection. As has already been mentioned no ISP will guarantee wireless speeds because there are so many variables that can effect it.

Some things you can try to improve it have already been mentioned, ie. check your wireless network card drivers are up to date, select a different wireless channel. Often channel 13 is the least congested.

You should also make sure that "smart set up" has been turned off, see link how to do that.

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/44328/~/switching-smart-setup-on-and-off-on-the-bt-ho...

Make sure your homehub is not plugged into a dual electrical socket with another device and inparticular a TV. Devices on standby, such as microwave ovens and cordless phones can also cause interference that can affect speeds.

In my opinion a kitchen is not the best place for a router because of the other devices such as fridges, microwaves cookers etc which can all cause problems with wireless devices.

You should try and move the homehub closer to where your devices are and it might help your speeds improve. If you can not get the master socket moved you could consider using a longer cable from the homehub to to master socket.

EggoH1992
Beginner
Message 5 of 7

Okay, so I've changed the channel to 13.  I can't move the router however as there are no suitable places within the building to put the router. 

Now when I've tried connecting my XBOX 360 via an ethernet cable, that too also cuts out every 5 minutes!!

Ever since i have got BT, it has been problem after problem.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 7

your problem is wireless based and no isp will guarantee wireless coverage it is is not BT problem
0 Ratings
wedd1ng528
Aspiring Expert
Message 7 of 7

You could also try Homeplugs or a wireless extender. I suggest you search this forum for instructions on how to configure them.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Mistakes and embarrasing goofs in e-mails are only discovered when you've sent them!
0 Ratings