Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
fishphone
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 5

Infinity 2 speed below 3Mbps

Go to solution

I have just upgraded to Infinity 2 with HH5 to replace HH4 that was on ADSL2. I have a Netgear 5 port unmanaged switch connected to one of the HH5 ethernet ports so that data can be transferred between any of the computers connected. This all worked fine with the HH4 and OOKLA reported same speed as from within the hub admin i.e around 15Mbps. But now with HH5 OOKLA gives shocking speeds of around 3Mbps down and less than 1Mbps up when tested from any of the wired computers. Wireless connections are much better I get around 35Mbps down and 19Mbps up. HH5 admin reports 80Mpbs down and 20Mbps up. If I connect any of the computers directly via cat5 cable to the HH5 I get around 65Mpbs on OOKLA.

I am beginning to wonder if the upgrade is really worth the extra cost if I cannot get the download speeds quoted when I ordered it.

Please help as tearing my hair out here

Steve

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 5

Re: Infinity 2 speed below 3Mbps

Go to solution
Sounds like the Netgear is unable to cope.
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
If you found this post helpful, please click on the star on the left
If not, I'll try again 🙂
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 5

Go to solution
It is not an infinity issue as speeds direct from the hub is ok sounds much more like your network switch has a problem
fishphone
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 5

Go to solution

Thanks guys, it was as you say a Netgear issue as have changed the switch to an old Belkin I had from years ago and all is working brilliantly now. Am getting 65Mpbs on all the computers connected to the Belkin.

I thought Netgear stuff was decent so its put me off their stuff a bit now. The switch worked ok on ADSL2 though!!!

Steve

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 5

Go to solution

@fishphone wrote:

Thanks guys, it was as you say a Netgear issue as have changed the switch to an old Belkin I had from years ago and all is working brilliantly now. Am getting 65Mpbs on all the computers connected to the Belkin.

I thought Netgear stuff was decent so its put me off their stuff a bit now. The switch worked ok on ADSL2 though!!!

Steve

This should explain it http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duplex_mismatch

Some switches work better with the home hubs, its all down to circuit design, and how tolerant they are to Ethernet Link Pulse variations. Netgear are no worse in this respect.

0 Ratings