Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Ipswichblade
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 5

Infinity and Zyxel Powerline

Hopefully someone can give me some advice on my query

In my house I have a desktop connected to Zyxel 100MB Powerlines and three laptops on wireless. Had infinity installed today and although I have yet to see the 30-40 MB download I was assured I was get I am pleased with some of the download speeds but not others. The  download speeds are as follows:

Laptop next to hub gets approx 22mb used to get around 4mb

Laptop 3 rooms away gets approx 21mb used to get around 3mb

Laptop in next room to hub that used to get 3mb has only increased to approx 7mb and is newest laptop

The destop connected to the powerline used to be the best averaging download speeds of around 5.5 to 6mb but has dropped to around 1.5mb

My questions are is there any way of increasing the powerline connection and why has it dropped and secondly why has the newest laptop not increased as much

Thanks

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Ipswichblade
Aspiring Contributor
Message 2 of 5

Re: Infinity and Zyxel Powerline

For some reason this has been moved from the infinity page when clearly it is a question of reduced download speed on a powerline since having infinity fitted

Mods please move back as I sense I am more likely to get a reply on the infinity board

0 Ratings
Guru
Message 3 of 5

Just checking a few details, as I can't see a good answer without.

powerline desktop

~~~~~~~~~~~

I assume the connection via powerline is:

telephone socket <--> modem <--> router <--> powerline 1 <--mains--> powerline 2 <--> computer

I assume that the desktop doesn't have a wireless connection as well.  You can sometimes get odd results if you have both wired (with or without or powerline) and wireless connections to the same machine.

There have been reported cases of ethernet ports on the router going slowly.  Try connecting the powerline to a different router port.  Also, try turning the router off and on again, or resetting it.

laptop

~~~~

Have the laptops got 'g' or 'n' adaptors?

Are the wireless adaptor drivers up to date on the laptop that didn't increase so much?

What does the HomeHub think the connection speed is to the various laptops?

Go to the router web page, setting, advanced settings, Home network,

and click on each of the wirelessly connected laptops in turn to see the connection speed.

The actual speeds you get will never match the connection speeds shown there;

they are typically a bit under half (eg 20Mbps download for a 54Mbps connection speed is common with a 'g' adaptor).

It could be an MTU issue.  MTU is usually set automatically and sensibly on newer operating systems, but things can go wrong.  I'm afraid I'm always confused about MTUs, so someone else will have to help if that is the problem.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 5

@Ipswichblade wrote:

For some reason this has been moved from the infinity page when clearly it is a question of reduced download speed on a powerline since having infinity fitted

Mods please move back as I sense I am more likely to get a reply on the infinity board

Other BB Queries

This board is for everything else related to broadband in your home: emails, tech setup, PCs and other hardware.

The infinity board is intended for helping with faults with the Infinity modem/router, or slow speed on the actual Infinity connection, as measured using an computer plugged into the Ethernet port of the home hub.

Powerline adapters are used by people with ADSL and Infinity, and there is no reason for them to perform any differently. They are very dependent on which mains socket they are plugged into.

0 Ratings
Ipswichblade
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 5

Thanks for your reply.

The powerline is set up as one plugged into mains and hub, the other into mains and desktop which is I think is what you said!

It has no wireless capability and have always used powerlines. I had switched the hub on and off and have since tried moving ports with no difference

I always imagined that this would be the one that wouldn't increase much on infinity however I didn't expect it to go from  the fastest to the slowest!!

With regards to the laptops I have checked the connection speeds and they are all at 56mbps. I am afraid I don't know if I have g or n adaptors. With regards to the driver I wouldn't have the authority to update any drivers as it is a work computer

Thanks again

0 Ratings