Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Deepsea
Message 1 of 8

Infinity cable & master socket wiring question

Go to solution

Hi everyone - hopefully I'm posting this in the right place, apologies if not.

I had my BT Infinity installation done almost 2 years ago now, and everything has been working really well. I recently upgraded my old HH3 to the HH5 and have been very happy with it too.

The issue is that we are having an extension done to our house, into which my PC and the HH5 will be moving in due course. I have one of the Infinity SSFP faceplates fitted, so figured - from all of the guides and support docs I've been able to find on my internet travels! - that the Hub should be plugged into the top port, with our regular telephone into the bottom one.

However, the top port is empty. From looking closer at it, it looks like the contractor has hard-wired the data extension kit into the master socket (ie. not using a removable plug, the wire disappears into the underside of the master socket).

When I looked closer, I remembered that he had said that he was going to do this but it would not affect the quality of the connection in any way so 'not to worry about it'. This may have been his way of offering reassurance over a job he'd not really done correctly. I must admit I was less than impressed with him at the time, as he had a fairly abrasive manner and was constantly on the phone asking questions about how to do the wiring as he'd not done one 'in ages'(!). Long story short, I suspect he's not done what he should have done.

Slightly against my better judgement (my track record of screwing electronic things up by amateur investigation weighing heavily on my mind!) I carefully unscrewed the master socket to take a look inside. It looks like the cable consists of three twisted pairs - two sets of these pairs (orange/white and green/white) were just hanging completely loose, and had not been connected to the faceplate at all. However, the blue/white & white/blue twisted pair are crimped into the upper-left internal socket. I assume that this is just set up purely for data purposes and, as I say, is working fine. The bottom socket for our regular phone works fine, and doesn't interefere with the net connection in any way.

Because the cable that leads into the current room the HH5 is in was drilled through the wall at installation, and has a big white box on the end, I can't just move the cable into the other room as it wouldn't fit.

My question is - if I was to buy a brand new data extension cable/kit the same as the one that is in use at the moment, would I be able to carefully disconnect the two crimped-in blue/white wires that the engineer wired in, then just plug the new cable into the top socket of the SSFP faceplate instead - as, I gather, it should have been in the first place? This may sound obvious, but I now very little about how this works, and want to prevent screwing something up which could be costly later on to fix.

Many thanks in advance for any help or advice you can offer.

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 8

Re: Infinity cable & master socket wiring question

Go to solution

yes is the answer to your question

the wires should be conencted to the terminals circled yellow SSFP.jpg

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 8

Go to solution

@Deepsea wrote:

Hi everyone - hopefully I'm posting this in the right place, apologies if not.

I had my BT Infinity installation done almost 2 years ago now, and everything has been working really well. I recently upgraded my old HH3 to the HH5 and have been very happy with it too.

The issue is that we are having an extension done to our house, into which my PC and the HH5 will be moving in due course. I have one of the Infinity SSFP faceplates fitted, so figured - from all of the guides and support docs I've been able to find on my internet travels! - that the Hub should be plugged into the top port, with our regular telephone into the bottom one.

However, the top port is empty. From looking closer at it, it looks like the contractor has hard-wired the data extension kit into the master socket (ie. not using a removable plug, the wire disappears into the underside of the master socket).

When I looked closer, I remembered that he had said that he was going to do this but it would not affect the quality of the connection in any way so 'not to worry about it'. This may have been his way of offering reassurance over a job he'd not really done correctly. I must admit I was less than impressed with him at the time, as he had a fairly abrasive manner and was constantly on the phone asking questions about how to do the wiring as he'd not done one 'in ages'(!). Long story short, I suspect he's not done what he should have done.

Slightly against my better judgement (my track record of screwing electronic things up by amateur investigation weighing heavily on my mind!) I carefully unscrewed the master socket to take a look inside. It looks like the cable consists of three twisted pairs - two sets of these pairs (orange/white and green/white) were just hanging completely loose, and had not been connected to the faceplate at all. However, the blue/white & white/blue twisted pair are crimped into the upper-left internal socket. I assume that this is just set up purely for data purposes and, as I say, is working fine. The bottom socket for our regular phone works fine, and doesn't interefere with the net connection in any way.

Because the cable that leads into the current room the HH5 is in was drilled through the wall at installation, and has a big white box on the end, I can't just move the cable into the other room as it wouldn't fit.

My question is - if I was to buy a brand new data extension cable/kit the same as the one that is in use at the moment, would I be able to carefully disconnect the two crimped-in blue/white wires that the engineer wired in, then just plug the new cable into the top socket of the SSFP faceplate instead - as, I gather, it should have been in the first place? This may sound obvious, but I now very little about how this works, and want to prevent screwing something up which could be costly later on to fix.

Many thanks in advance for any help or advice you can offer.

No, don't plug it in the front, connect where the existing one is connected after you have removed it. I.e in the terminals circled yellow. The existing arrangement was perfectly satisfactory and correctly wired, just replicate it.

0 Ratings
Deepsea
Message 4 of 8

Go to solution

Thanks imjolly and licquorice for your speedy replies - unless I've misunderstood, they seem to disagree!

I guess what I'm angling for here is to be able to use a good old-fashioned and easily removable cable with a plug on the end instead of having to faff around with any kind of internal wiring in the future if another move of location happens. The idea of having to perhaps strip a cable myself and wire it in the same way sounds like I'm replicating a poorly implemented original installation which - while it'll presumably work? - would be far from ideal.

If this is needed, I probably wouldn't do this myself and would get someone in to do it. It just seems a bit of a fudged solution, when all I'm really looking to do would be to make it look and work like it should have if it'd been installed 'by the book' in the first place...?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 8

Go to solution

No, we both agreed that wiring to the terminals was the correct option. I think IMJ misunderstood your intention to use a plug. The correct method is as your original installation. Just remove the existing wires and replace with the new. No stripping required, the connection is an insulation displacement type which means you just push the wires onto the terminals using a little plastic tool that will be supplied with the data extension kit.

Edit:  Obviously its up to you if you would rather use a plug in the top socket, it will still work OK.

0 Ratings
Deepsea
Message 6 of 8

Go to solution

@licquorice wrote:

No, we both agreed that wiring to the terminals was the correct option. I think IMJ misunderstood your intention to use a plug. The correct method is as your original installation. Just remove the existing wires and replace with the new. No stripping required, the connection is an insulation displacement type which means you just push the wires onto the terminals using a little plastic tool that will be supplied with the data extension kit.

Edit:  Obviously its up to you if you would rather use a plug in the top socket, it will still work OK.

Aha, got it.

Your 'Edit:' is pretty crucial to this, I appreciate the clarification.

So I essentially have two options -

a) the 'replicating the internal wiring' option you both suggest

OR

b) I could indeed go with my proposed solution of removing the old wires, and just using the top external plug of the SSFP with a brand new data cable - with no need to fiddle about with the internals of the master socket at all, beyond that initial wire removal step.

Apologies to labour the point; you can understand I want to be completely sure before making a decision Smiley Happy

Thanks again.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 8

Go to solution

@Deepsea wrote:

@licquorice wrote:

Aha, got it.

Your 'Edit:' is pretty crucial to this, I appreciate the clarification.

So I essentially have two options -

a) the 'replicating the internal wiring' option you both suggest

OR

b) I could indeed go with my proposed solution of removing the old wires, and just using the top external plug of the SSFP with a brand new data cable - with no need to fiddle about with the internals of the master socket at all, beyond that initial wire removal step.

Apologies to labour the point; you can understand I want to be completely sure before making a decision Smiley Happy

Thanks again.

Indeed, assuming the data extension kit has an RJ11 plug already wired to it.

Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 8

Go to solution

The reason I advocate wiring to the rear is plugs and sockets are an inherent fault liability and are also susceptible to accidental damage as they protrude.