cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
CoolHandLuke
Beginner
Message 1 of 10

Infinity in London

I've recently moved to a new flat and tried to order BT Infinity broadband online but was told it isn't available in my area. I thought this was odd as I live in zone 3 in London so I spoke to some of my new neighbours and they all have fibre. The small development I live in was built about 10 years ago so I'm guessing it's just been missed. Any idea how this can get sorted?

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 10

Re: Infinity in London

@CoolHandLuke

In order to find out what services and speed range you could be getting, please enter your phone number into this form.
Broadband availability checker

Please remember to edit out your phone number before you post the results.

0 Ratings
CoolHandLuke
Beginner
Message 3 of 10

I've just purchased the flat so don't have a phone number (no dial tone) or a an ACCESS LINE ID.
0 Ratings
gt94sss2
Aspiring Expert
Message 4 of 10

What about the Address Checker?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 10

@CoolHandLuke wrote:
I've just purchased the flat so don't have a phone number (no dial tone) or a an ACCESS LINE ID.

Untill you order a phone line, and have a working BT Retail phone line, it will not be possible to get accurate broadband availability, as the Openreach database will not be up to date.

It would be the same for all providers.

0 Ratings
CoolHandLuke
Beginner
Message 6 of 10

Disgraceful BT infinity installation delays

I’m having an absolute nightmare trying to get my broadband setup with BT for my new flat. I predominately work from home so this is causing me a major issue. Seems like it generally takes more than a 1 month to get up and running?

BT aren’t remotely proactive in making sure everything is working. Things only move if I call and press them. It’s been over 3 weeks since I ordered, I’ve had to speak to BT over their chat facility and over the phone a number of times, and I still don’t have a date that my broadband will be working.

I’ll break it down.

19 March: Went online and ordered phone, infinity broadband and TV. Got an email confirming that the engineer would attend site on 31 Mar and all three would be up and running that day. BT box outside the flat and a phone socket in the flat so shouldn't be a big job.

23 March: Get an email from BT stating they can’t do the engineer visit on 31 Mar so have rescheduled it for 10 April.

3 April: Get an email and phone message from BT stating that an engineer will attend site on 6 April! What? They were supposed to attend site on the 10th. I speak to BT about ensuring they come out on the 10th and they promise to speak to Openreach and call me back tomorrow to confirm.

4 April: No one calls me back so I get in to contact and am told if I cancel the appointment on the 6th the next available date will be the 21st! I reluctantly change my plans at great inconvenience to accommodate the 6th.

5 April: The router and TV box that is supposed to turn up the day before the engineer attends still hasn’t arrived. I speak to BT who tell me there has been an error and it won’t turn up until the 7th, a day after the engineer visits. But they assure me that it will just be a case of plugging everything in and the phone, broadband and TV will all be working.

6 April: Engineer attends and gets the phone line working and said broadband “should work” when I plug in the router.

9 April: I plug in the router and get a purple flashing light which according to the instructions means the router isn’t receiving a broadband connection. Call the helpline who tell me that my account shows the broadband order is still open but they can't see the details of why. They try to get in contact with the team that look after this but they have finished for the day but I’m told I will get a call tomorrow.

10 April: Receive a VM and text confirming my broadband will be activated by midnight. Check at 10pm and it’s not working.

11 April: Call the helpline. Am told that in order to get everything up and running “Wholesale” will need to go the cab and do some work. But due to the way the system is setup, a fault needs to be logged and no progress will be made for 5 days. Only after the 5 days will they be able to give me a date when the engineer will attend!

Anyone had any simlar problems? And how long before you had broadband?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 10

Re: Disgraceful BT infinity installation delays

I have asked a moderator to provide assistance, they will post an invite on this thread.
They are the only BT employees on this forum, and are based in the UK.

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 10

Hi @CoolHandLuke,

I'm sorry to hear about the problems you have had with your order. I'll be able to take a look at this for you.

Please can you send me in your details using the "Contact The Mods" link found in my profile?

Thanks

PaddyB

Community ModeratorPaddyB
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”Kudos”
0 Ratings
MorgaineD
Expert
Message 9 of 10

This is such a sad story to read.  How can processes be so broken in a major ISO 9000 company?

Clearly @CoolHandLuke's problem needs to be be fixed first, but that's just the start.  The BT work processes and failures of management that allow this kind of abuse of customers to happen need fixing so that they don't occur again.

Perhaps the moderator has the skills of diplomacy (and courage) to escalate this failure of process within BT.

0 Ratings
casaschi
Contributor
Message 10 of 10

Just a suggestion, if I remember correctly, from day 1 after my order with BT I was able to use for free the BT WiFi service. In a block of flat it would not be uncommon to have someone near you with a BT home hub open for BT WiFi. This way you could at least have internet access and work from home, in my case performance using my neighboor BT WiFi was not bad at all.

0 Ratings