Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Mooly
Aspiring Expert
Message 1 of 8

Infinity on Home Hub 3 keeps dropping speeds to <5mbs

Go to solution

I have Infinity with a HomeHub 3 and the separate white modem. There are no extension leads. Connection is via Wi-Fi.

I'm experiencing far to many slow downs where my download speed can drop from around 38mbs down to anywhere between 5mbs and to as low as 1mbs. If I reset the hub using the reset button, or simply pull the power to both hub and modem, the hub always reboots and the full speed returns. I have tried switching from auto to manual channel selection and have tried channels 1, 6 and 11. The problem occurs perhaps 3 times or so a week.

This may be significant... I have noticed if I change wireless channels without a reboot then the speed immediately returns to normal. If I then immediately revert back again to the same channel I was on at first, the speed stays good (until the next time) .

Any ideas what is going on.

Here are four images (Microsoft Skydrive... Ahh seems I can insert images direct). First two show how the speed suddenly drops off. The third is after changing the Hub to from channel 6 to channel 2 and the fourth immediately aftwards and changing it back to 6 again. The four tests were run consecutively and as quickly as it takes to just change channels and retest.

Test1.PNG

And again,

Test2.PNG

Now change Hub from channel 6 to channel 2. Speed comes back instantly.

Test3.PNG

And now back to channel 6. Speed stays good.

Test4.PNG

http://1drv.ms/1sSMXwS

http://1drv.ms/1sSMZ7W

http://1drv.ms/1lCDVFO

http://1drv.ms/1sSN3EL

Tags (3)
0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 8

Re: Infinity on Home Hub 3 keeps dropping speeds to <5mbs

Go to solution
Can you please run the BT speedtest further diagnostic test this test appears after the first test completes and post back the results this test must be done with a wired connection as wireless connections are not accepted for speed problems

http://speedtest.btwholesale.com/
0 Ratings
Mooly
Aspiring Expert
Message 3 of 8

Go to solution

Thanks for the quick reply John.

OK, I'll keep a watch out for when the connection drops again and see what I can come up with. Its easier said than done... router location etc but I'll certainly give it a try. Thanks. 

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 8

Go to solution
BT only accept speedtests with wired connections as wireless is subject to too many variables
Mooly
Aspiring Expert
Message 5 of 8

Go to solution

OK, speed dropped right down this morning as can be seen. Tried the wired LAN and speed was correct, so it seems to be a Wif-Fi issue.

LAN1.PNG 

Running the same test wth Wi-Fi.

WiFi.PNG

Changing the Hub from channel 10 to channel 9 (I'm now working my way down all the channels) instantly restored the Wif-Fi speed to equal that of the wired connection.

So new questions....... and sorry for them being a bit technical too but I'd really like to get to the bottom of this because its happening more and more frequently. 

1/ Assuming this is a Wi-Fi interference issue, why does the Hubs smart channel technology not alter the channel to one more suitable ?

2/ When the Hub drops to a low connection speed, it never seems to recover without manual intervention. If the issue is interference then logically that should show as intermitent good/bad connectivity with the speed returning when the offending item perhaps switches off or reception conditions change. It doesn't seem too though.

3/ Again, if the problem is interference, then why does selecting the same Hub channel that the slowdown has occured with correct the problem. 

(a possible reason I thought of (and I don't quite know if it works like this) could be that interfering equipment detects my change of channel and alters its own accordingly. If so, then why does the Hub 3 not do the same, as I understand that is the whole point of the smart Wi-Fi technology feature. Untill the last couple of weeks I always used the default smart setting)

A lot assumptions there regarding the cause as being interference. Could it be a Hub issue ? Some sort of lockup/latchup that is occuring.

Thanks.        

0 Ratings
Guru
Message 6 of 8

Go to solution

Glad you tracked it down to a wireless issue.  The 'smart channel technology' isn't half as smart as it should be and often gets things wrong. I think most experinced users turn it off.  I think it only tries to switch between 1, 6 and 11.  Other channels overlap somewhat with these anyway.

You could try installing a program called inSSIDer on your wireless device; this will show the best channels to use, and may also help get the best signal by small changes to position/orientation of router or device.  The graphs will also show you the channel overlap. There are free versions of the older versions of inSSIDer but a bit harder to find than they used to be; search around on the web a bit and post back if you have trouble finding one.

John (uncharacteristially) forgot to mention that after that speedtest you should run 'Further Diagnostics' and post the result of that as well.  However, your wired/wireless test makes it unnecessary after all .....

Mooly
Aspiring Expert
Message 7 of 8

Go to solution

Here is the view that inSSIDer gives. My Hub is the only Wi-Fi enabled device at this address and is the one now on channel 9. I can see a Sky box on channel 1 that has the same signal strength as my Hub. Hmmm....

I'll see how working my way through the channels pans out and can keep coming back to inSSIDer to see if any other devices all field strengths change.

SSID.PNG  

0 Ratings
Mooly
Aspiring Expert
Message 8 of 8

Go to solution

Quick update on this. Since switching to channel 9 I have experienced no speed issues or drop outs. This shows the typical speeds I am now consistently getting via Wi-Fi.

It certainly seems that all the local networks that inSSider shows are all set to 1, 6 and 11, presumably auotomatically. While these are all "non overlapping" it seems to me to be illogical to set another devices channel on top of these. Although the other "free" channels overlap, I would imagine the majority of the energy is concentrated around the centre frequency. 

The two inSSider shots show the difference in strengths between using a PC upstairs (an old Acer laptop) and downstairs (a modern Dell). The upstairs levels of interfering channels are the highest.  

ISS Acer.PNG

ISS Dell.PNG

Speedtest 1.PNG

0 Ratings