Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
nigelangel1
Contributor
Message 1 of 4

Infinity speed, but iPlayer freezes!

Go to solution

I've had BT Infinity for around two years, and mostly it's fine. I get almost constant speeds of  D76  U16, and movie/music downwards zoom along at anything up to 30meg. 

I have two questions. Why does BCD iPlayer freeze and buffer in the middle of shows? I realise that the freezing most likely isn't caused by my connection to the local exchange, but by the volume of traffic using iPlayer, however, if I'm doing my bit to get the best speeds available, why isn't something being done to speed up things such as iPlayer, ITV Player, and the like? Before I got Infinity option 2 I was told that I must accept that certain services would freeze from time to time owing to my relatively slow line speed on 'normal' broadband, but getting Infinity would cure this problem. The problem is still there almost everytime I use a streaming TV player, so why is this still a problem, and when will I start to see a change? I use a 3 mobile broadband dongle when we go to our caravan on the East Cost. I get download speeds of around 4meg, and iPlayer works better than when I'm at home using the fibre optic service!

My second question is, why does BT still slow down certain services between 4.00pm and Midnight, to a mere trickle, when their adverts boldly say that they 'never' slow down load speeds at certain times of day? If what BT says is true, why would a downloading file slow from 4meg right down to 20kbs, on the stroke of 4.00pm? And before BT jump in and say that I must be downloading an illegal movie file, for my service to slow, I can say that it happens with 100% legal and paid for downloads! 

I will be interesting to hear what BT has to say, and whether anyone else gets the same problems as me on BT Infinity option 2.

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 4

Re: Infinity speed, but iPlayer freezes!

Go to solution
it sounds like you need to upgrade to one of the new totally unlimited packages that came out in February 2013 that will remove any P2P throttling at peak times
0 Ratings
onlineman
Message 3 of 4

Go to solution

I have the same problem (iPlayer freezing on a regular basis). I can normally resume playback by pressing Pause, then Play.

The thing is... I have unlimited Infinity 2, so shouldn't see any traffic management.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 4

Go to solution

there are similar posts about bbc problems on this board

the thread is 10 months old

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings