cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Message 1 of 5

Insecure network detected, says Bitdefender

Whenever I make a wifi connection  on my laptop my virus software, Bitdefender, tells me it has detected an insecure network and asks me to make a connection via VPN. I am loathe to do this because it requires a subscription. Plus, surely it is unnecessary? I use the password key provided by BT on my router and my network is set to private.

I don't understand. Is my network insecure? Are there problems? Or is this Bitdefender just trying to sell me a subscription to something I don't need? If so, then that's very shoddy business practice to tell you something is insecure when it's not.

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 5

Re: Insecure network detected, says Bitdefender

It sounds like Bitdefender is trying to persuade you to buy a subscription.

If you are connected to your BT Home hub, using the wireless password on the home hub, then your connection to the Internet is secure.

Perhaps you are visiting a website that is insecure, and that is why you are getting the warning?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 5

are you connecting to BTWIFI and not your home wireless connection?

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 4 of 5

Wrong, I HAVE a premium subscription and I STILL get that WHEN I AM AT WORK! You have no idea what you are talking about.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 5 of 5

It could be a bug in their software or a conflict. Nothing is bug free.

your connection is kind of secure, depends on what you call secure. I very much doubt the home hubs like many domestic routers include 802.1 1W /PMF so it’s not as secure as it could be. 
That’s not to say BT are lazy, it’s simply not found in many domestic routers unless you step up to WiFi 6 and the device is certified as this must be included.

double check your connection is on a secure channel and not on say BT fon. 

Make sure your computer and bitdefender are fully updated too. 

is it perhaps more of an advert offering their VPN service and perhaps it relates more to do with your online connection as it does seem that way. Is it naughty, well they can advertise I guess. 

0 Ratings