cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
imacken
Contributor
Message 1 of 10

Intermittent Device Connection Issues on Wi-fi

I recently returned to BT from Talktalk and I am pretty fed up with ongoing issues with my iPhone, iPad, HP wi-fi printer and Apple Time Capsule not being 'seen' on the wi-fi network by other devices.

This affects my backups, syncing and printing, and is a royal PITA!

The problem is always solved by turning on and off the BT HH3.

Never had this problem before returning to BT and the HH3.

Anyone any ideas on this?

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
Community Manager
Community Manager
Message 2 of 10

Re: Intermittent Device Connection Issues on Wi-fi

Hi Imacken,

Thanks for the post and welcome back to BT.  Not a great start Smiley Sad  Sorry to read of the problems you are suffering.

Here is some useful information on improving wireless performance and coverage, take a look at this as it may help How can I improve my wireless coverage and performance?

Cheers

Sean

Community ManagerSeanD
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”Kudos”
0 Ratings
andym8y
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 10

I am having the same problem too having recently switched from another ISP.  The wireless connections to the router and out to the internet are absolutley fine, but connecting between computers requires a reboot of the HomeHub.  This means I need to reboot it every time I need to print, every time I want to access the media server or or just share some files.  

Ping reports Destination Host Unreachable with an intermittent Request Timed Out.  This suggests there is an issue with the router as opposed to wireless coverage and setup problems. Is there a fix for this inconvenience? 

3. Firmware version:Software version 4.7.5.1.83.8.94.1.11 (Type A) Last updated 19/02/13
4. Board version:BT Home Hub 3.0A
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 10

can all you devices 'see' each other on your network?  have you checked that nothing has changed in network and sharing centre and files etc are ok to share?

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
andym8y
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 10

The devices can't see each other, file sharing is not possible right now, neither is the media server or printer. I'd rather not have to reboot the homehub every time I need to print!
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 10

Try a factory reset of the Homehub by pressing a pin into the red recess button for about 20 secs. Sometimes the settings get "confused" and the factory reset can sort it out better than just using a soft reset by pressing the reset button. If you have changed your Passkey to log devices on to the hub this will be reset back to the one which came with it.

0 Ratings
andym8y
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 10

I can connect to across the network again, I'll give it a day before I say its fixed though!

0 Ratings
Highlighted
andym8y
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 10

Just tried connecting to my printer again and its gone, destination host unreachable with request timed out.  The router shows its IP and MAC addresses correctly. I can ping a PC by IP address but not by name, NSlookup returns the correct IP address from the hub so DNS seems to be resolving the name on the router - this PC is connected by ethernet.  I can currently ping my wife's laptop but for how long??

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 10

Static IP addresses may help the problem, which is probably being caused by DHCP lease renewal.

See Using static IP addresses on your home network

0 Ratings
andym8y
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 10

If it was a DHCP issue then I wouldn't get an IP address and have internet connection. Just to check, I set the printer to 192.168.1.51 and still get destination host unreachable, indicating a routing error, not DHCP
0 Ratings