Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mrbagshaw120
Beginner
Message 1 of 9

Intermittent Internet connection

Hello,

I've been having issues since we recieved our BTHome Hub 6 at the start of the year to replace out HomeHub 5 which was having WiFi drop out issues. Since then our WiFi has been fine, but my brother and I have noticed that once a month, we will have intermittent internet which makes us unable to watch streams on Twitch, NowTV, Netflix while also making us unable to game.

These issues only happen on our gaming PC's, once a month and they alternate. What I mean by this is that my brother will experience the issue on his machine one day, then the next I will have the issue and then it is fine for another month until it happens again. This can happen when all the devices on our network are or, or when our machine having the issue is the only one online.

We have both of our machine connected via a unmanaged netgear switch in my room, along with my Xbox and Smart TV and his PS4. None of these devices appear to have any issues ever. I have made multiple calls to BT in trying to sort this issue including line tests, ethernet port changes as far as factory resetting our router, but it will still come back the next month or even sooner.

Has anyone had any success with this issue, or ever come across it before? BT don't seem to listen to me when I tell them it is a router issue, not the broadband itself but they seem to transfix on broadband and line issues. I'm getting to my final stand with this router and am contemplating buying a 3rd party router to hopefully rid myself of this nightmare.

I also have the technical logs of the past few days showing a bizarrely large amount of IGMP logs with my IP of constant joining and leaving. Any help is greatly appreciated before I get rid of the thing completely.

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
dubstepzombie
Aspiring Expert
Message 2 of 9

Re: Intermittent Internet connection

Your description seems a little unclear to me - you say your machines are connected via an ethernet switch but how is the switch connected to your BT hub ? Is it all cabled ?

0 Ratings
mrbagshaw120
Beginner
Message 3 of 9

Yes, I have a cable running from the BT Home hub to my switch upstairs and then mine and my brothers devices are cabled into that.

0 Ratings
dubstepzombie
Aspiring Expert
Message 4 of 9

ok then you're fully wired so WIfi should not be in use - right ? there isn't much that can go wrong with a wired setup. I'd certainly disable all WIfi network adapters just in case.

When you have connectivity problems you need to run some basic tests to see what works

1. Can you access any page on the interenet ?

2. Can you ping other machines on your wired network ?

3. Can you ping your BT hub

4. Do 'ipconfig /all' in a DOS prompt and check you've got correct IP info i.e. an IP address, gateway IP address, subnet and DNS entries.

5. What normally resolves your problems ? normally a definite issue doesn't just resolve itself.

6. google for speedtest .net, you can do this now and just check what through put your've got, do the same when you have problems.

7. If you're using DHCP make sure you haven't got any device set to a static IP address, that can really mess things up i.e. duplicate IP address. In fact DHCP IP addresses have a lease time so a initial guess is that this could be the cause of odd connectivity problems. The BT hub would issue a new IP address that conflicts with a device set to a static IP address.

0 Ratings
mrbagshaw120
Beginner
Message 5 of 9

Yes WiFi is not an issue with this box.
1) I am able to access webpages but the speed to loading them is constantly varying when the issue occurs.
2) I can ping other machines and external addresses
3) I can ping my hub, when trying to access the hub online via its IP, the page struggles to load and can sometimes not load at all
4) All IP related things are correct when checking ipconfig
5) The only thing I have found to resolve the issue is performing a factory reset on the router. Other than this it is simply a case of waiting up to 24 hours for the issue to go away.
6) Speedtests show no issues. I do notice when I run a ping -t to googles DNS server that it was occasionally throw up a Request time out.
7) The issue occurs with either a DHCP and Static address.

0 Ratings
dubstepzombie
Aspiring Expert
Message 6 of 9

"trying to access the hub online via its IP, the page struggles to load" - I assume you mean accessing the hub internally via your network, exposing the hub configuration UI to the internet would be a bad idea.

I don't know what settings you have on your hub, I use a third party router - a billion BiPAC 8900X R3. I have my router configured to not even respond to a ping on the internet side, hackers are constantly scanning the internet for anything they can have a poke at. If they find something it'll likely get bombarded with packets to try things like brute force password cracking or scanned for open ports etc.

Same for the Wifi - if you don't use it then set it to off or low power.

Same for any static routes you might  have setup, don't expose your internel network directly to the internet - use NAT.

If you have any denial of service prevention settings  (DOS)  then I'd enable them.

If you suspect your hub is the cause of your issues then I'd check the firmware is up to date, my router has detailed DSL statistics that I can see if there's any problems with the modem side of it, so in general I'd focus on the settings and stats you have on your hub.

I think BT can do a line test if you contact them, might be another possible avenue to explore. 

If pages are slow to load it could be a DNS issue, so you could try setting a static DNS address to another DNS server such as google one. 

Ultimately you could invest in a third party router, my connection speed jumped from 40Mbps with the BT hardware straight to nearly 70Mbps.

0 Ratings
DiggerOfTrenches
Contributor
Message 7 of 9

Login to router.

Advanced/Technical Log.

Informatin. Post screen shot edit serial number.

In event log select button top right select IP from list.

Look at results may be many pages.

If it looks like this then ....

IPdropout.jpg

Then add do log with WAN + IP and look for this....

IPWANdisconect.jpg

If so post them up here. I'll have a look.

0 Ratings
dubstepzombie
Aspiring Expert
Message 8 of 9

Yeah I'm not sure exactly where  'DYN ROUTE added / deleted' is coming from or why - it suggests to me you've got a route being dynamically created that will expose something internel on your network to the internet.

If it was me I'd turn off DHCP to your LAN on the hub, make sure NAT is enabled, make sure there's no externel port forwarding configured on the hub that would expose the internel network directly to the internet, configure static IP addresses on all devices on a 192.168.0.x subnet, you want a clean and clear LAN config so you know exactly what device is using what IP addresses.

Google any setting on your hub you're not sure about and go for the safest option i.e. turn off features / functions. 90+% of the settings on my router I don't have enabled or are off.

Then do a virus scan on all your PCs

Ultimately you need to solve the dynamic route being created because either it's something bad happening on your network (a virus etc) or somehow you're relying on this route to get to the internet - when you should be using NAT i.e. a bad configuration.

0 Ratings
DiggerOfTrenches
Contributor
Message 9 of 9

Please search this site for PPP Dropouts during day. remote station is not answering to LCP Echo requests.

This I think is the answer.

I was asking the question to @mrbragshaw120
0 Ratings