cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 4

Intermittent WiFi Connectivity Issue with BT Home Hub 6

I've been experiencing intermittent WiFi connectivity problems with my BT Home Hub 6 router. The issue seems to occur randomly, where my devices would suddenly lose connection to the WiFi network, and then reconnect after a few minutes. This has been happening frequently over the past week, disrupting my online activities and causing frustration.

I've tried troubleshooting by restarting the router, resetting it to factory settings, and even changing the WiFi channels, but the problem persists. Interestingly, the connection seems stable when I'm in close proximity to the router, but as I move farther away or to different rooms within my house, the connection drops more frequently.

I've checked for any physical obstructions or interference sources near the router, but haven't found anything significant. All the firmware updates for the router are up-to-date according to the BT website.

Has anyone else experienced similar issues with their BT Home Hub 6? Any suggestions or solutions would be greatly appreciated. I rely on a stable internet connection for work and leisure, so resolving this problem is crucial. Thanks in advance for your help!

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4

Re: Intermittent WiFi Connectivity Issue with BT Home Hub 6

Have you used a WiFi analyser  to check which channels may be congested?

Do you have separate SSIDs for the 2.4 & 5GHz channels? If not I'd recommend splitting them so that you can be sure  which a device is connecting to. Generally speaking, 2.4 has the greatest range but 5GHz has the fastest speed.

In the short term maybe consider an ethernet connection while you're working.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 4

Thank you for your response and suggestions. Yes, I've used a WiFi analyzer to check for congested channels, and I've tried switching to less congested ones, but unfortunately, the issue persists. I do have separate SSIDs for the 2.4GHz and 5GHz channels, and I've confirmed which one each device is connecting to. Despite this, the intermittent connectivity issues occur on both bands. I appreciate the recommendation for an Ethernet connection as a short-term solution. However, it's not always feasible for me to use a wired connection, especially when I need to move around the house with my devices. If you have any further suggestions or solutions, I'd be grateful to hear them. Thanks again for your assistance.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 4

I'd be inclined to try another Smart Hub. Rather than endure the pain of trying to deal with BT, you could probably pick one up for under a tenner from your local Facebook Marketplace/Gumtree.

If it solves the issue you can decide if you want to chase BT for a replacement, but it will probably be a SH2 which you can't split the SSIDs on. If it doesn't solve the issue then at least you've ruled it out & can either keep it as a spare or resell for what you paid.

In case you weren't aware, you could change the SSIDs of a replacement SH to match your original, save messing around reconnecting all your devices.

0 Ratings